I need someone that can install an interior/exterior door...wood rot problems

Wallace's

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
97   0
Reaction score
Ok, so I would normally do this myself, but after pulling the threshold off the old door, I see much more damage than I feel comfortable with.

I already have a new 32x80" door and storm door. I just need someone that does this kind of thing for a living to advise what they would do, and maybe come out and quote the install after repairing the wood rot damage.

IMG_0540.JPG
IMG_0541.JPG
IMG_0542.JPG

Pull back the tile till you find solid subfloor and remove the first couple deck planks to gain access to the sheathing for replacement. Cut out the damage and replace then install door.

Pull back the tile till you find solid subfloor and remove the first couple deck planks to gain access to the sheathing for replacement. Cut out the damage and replace then install door.
I can do that part. I was hoping it was just the subfloor (I actually started cutting the tile out). The cross beam that the deck is bolted too is rotted, along with the facia plywood. This is getting into things I don't have the experience to dive into blind with.

Again, if this was just the subfloor, I would already have it replaced. Really need someone to take a look at the rotted beam and facia boards.

You can save some money by scabbing onto both sides of the band, what you called the beam, and use carriage bolts to "sandwich" it. The scab will work as well as cutting out the old band. I can't tell, but the old band might be fine an inch or two down. The next door sill should be sealed or flashed, too. It looks like the water from the deck ran back under the sill.

You can save some money by scabbing onto both sides of the band, what you called the beam, and use carriage bolts to "sandwich" it. The scab will work as well as cutting out the old band. I can't tell, but the old band might be fine an inch or two down. The next door sill should be sealed or flashed, too. It looks like the water from the deck ran back under the sill.
I see you are in Rome and seem to have experience in this. Is there anyway you could come out and maybe take a better look at what actually needs to be done?

Back
Top Bottom