• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

I want to hear from the M1A guys, I have a few questions

Flammenwerfer

Default rank <4500 posts
Úlfhéthnar
61   0
Reaction score
Everyone that has dealt with me or knows me to any extent on here knows I love .308/7.62 NATO. I'm currently getting ready to pull the trigger on my next purchase, a Springfield M1A. Before I make my purchase I'd like to get a few questions answered.

What is your preference, scout or standard?
Do you feel optics are necessary for this platform? Or do the irons stand up on their own?

I'm leaning towards a scout with a walnut stock. The only thing I'm set in stone with, is I know 110% that I want a walnut stock.

I have a standard length without optics. Only reason I didnt get the scout length is I wanted a loaded model out of the box, and SA doesnt offer a loaded Scout length rifle. So, I got a loaded stainless 22", and I like it.

As far as optics vs irons goes, i enjoy shooting irons so I shoot irons. The M14/M1A platform is famous for national match/NRA high power iron sight shooting, that should be enough convincing that the irons can stand on their own. The question is, can you outshoot the irons? I cant :)

Opinion of Course but I own the M1-A1 Loaded Nat match w Stainless Barrel and you could not do better for sights than Nat match Irons though you will find the rear aperture to be a bit small. Most M1 A 1 Scope mounts return to zero when taken off put back on so....... For what its worth this is far and away my favorite rifle bar none.....

I agree, for anything but paper the rear sight is pretty small, would be tough to track a target in the woods with it, but for long distance hole punching it is killer.

well....... i do endorse full length rifle its not that long overall and the sight radius is much better. if irons arent up to snuff you can always get a national match set. Im not into stainless barrel, they may be more accurate but are proven to not last as long. wood is good ive come to learn! i like the sights on these.....its a very long running aperture setup that you can see has been used for a least 100 yrs now. the scouts and socom look more tacticool but its a battle rifle and i like it looking like a bigun!

Back
Top Bottom