I want to hunt

KrisD

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
57   0
Reaction score
OK Last time I hunted was pretty much 10 years ago.

Are you able to hunt for free on certain land?
What Safety courses do you guys recommend?
What basic items do you recommend?

I have two Rem 700 and 770 308 so i believe i have the rifle part ok.

I really want to go out this year and try my hand at it again Thanks

Also recommend good paid land too.

Welcome back to hunting. If you are new to hunting in Georgia I'd acquire a copy of the Ga Hunting Regulations and read it from front to back.
I'd also recommend taking the Hunter Safety course required by the State of Ga if you haven't already.
What you carry in the woods is a matter of what you deem necessary/what you can tolerate. The rifles and the caliber are very much suitable for any big game species that Ga has.
Good luck this year

First thing you're going to need is a license. If you are wanting to hunt public land, you are most likely going to need to add a WMA license to your regular hunting license or just buy a sportsman's license that includes it. If deer hunting, you will also need to add a big game license and deer harvest record to your license.

If you haven't had a Hunter's Safety Course, you will need to take one.

.308 should be fine for deer, bear and hogs. I wouldn't personally use it on anything smaller.

Paid land is going to be hard to find, especially this time of year. Your options are mostly limited to hunt clubs looking for members or securing your own lease.

Basic items I would recommend are insect repellant/Thermacell, orange vest during firearms deer season, water if you plan to be out very long, maybe some snacks.

Here is the website for hunting regulations; http://www.eregulations.com/georgia/hunting/2015-16-season-dates-limits/

I recommend checking this site to figure out which licenses you need, find out season dates and restrictions for the area you wish to hunt, and also read the entire WMA section if plan to hunt on any WMA's.

Good to be back huh? I took about 25 off and boy was I happy to be back in the saddle. Yeah license up, get your safety class under you belt and get out there. 308 is perfect, know your gun and your capabilities and you will be fine.

Back
Top Bottom