• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

I want to learn reloading

When it comes to reloading equipment there is so many options out there. For someone just getting started what kind of equipment would be best suited. I see there are progressive and single stage and even manual. I plan on doing mainly 9mm, 40 S&W, 45acp so I don't think manual would be time efficient.

When it comes to reloading equipment there is so many options out there. For someone just getting started what kind of equipment would be best suited. I see there are progressive and single stage and even manual. I plan on doing mainly 9mm, 40 S&W, 45acp so I don't think manual would be time efficient.

Daniel,

You may want to start out with a single stage press. Lee makes whole kits that can get you started without breaking the piggy bank. I thought you were on a budget. When you get into progressive reloading it's a chunk of change (several hundred dollars).

I still use my single stage O-Ring press that was given to me 25 years ago. I load some pistol (.44 Mag and .45 colt) but mostly bottle necked rifle cartridges.

Your largest savings will most likely be .45 ACP so you may want to start with that first. If your pistol has polygonal rifling you may want to stick with copper jacketed or plated bullets. Some will say go ahead but more than a few say not to as it can lead to excessive pressure. Lead cast will save you some coin. It's a bit more time on the bench to clean but not too much.

You will want a brass cleaner. I really like the vibratory types. Get the largest one you can afford. Don't overload it or it may die a slow death. You will need media walnut or corn cobb. I prefer walnut with a bit of brass polish. Once your brass is clean you can deprime it on your press. Stick with carbide dies. when you deprime you will resize the case.

Time to prime. Your press may have this included or maybe an upgrade. I started with a hand primer and you can prime watching T.V.

Time to throw some gunpowder. Start on the low end and starting out you may want to stay there for a while. Use a magnetically dampened scales. They are cheap and typically accurate. Staying on the low end serves several purposes. It extends the life of your brass, is easier on your weapon and reduces recoil. Never use questionable brass for high power (hot) loadings. I use new or once fired only. Loading blocks make stuffing powder in much easier. You can buy them or make them if you have a drill and a saw. Once you filled the case double check each and see if any case has more than its fair share of powder. The most common kaboom is a double charge of powder. You can measure/weight each charge but I typically have a lever throw powder measure and use my scales to verify it's throwing the correct charge. Chuckdog uses the inexpensive Lee measures with good results.

If all the powder charges appear good to go then add a bullet and seat it with your seater die. Some seat and crimp in one step. Many separate the two. Once the bullet is seated check it with dial calipers see if it's within overall length (OAL), then crimp and recheck the OAL. For the semi-auto cartridges you have it will be a taper crimp. If you have your barrel out of your gun, drop a few in the tube and make sure they drop right in. If your OAL is too short, it could compress the powder and dramatically increase pressure. Too long it may not fit in the magazine or have feeding issues.

Do not load up a 1000 rounds only to find your gun doesn't like the load. I typically load 25-50 rounds and go try them out. The Lee kits offer about the best value for your dime. Good luck! There are too many great guys here to help you if you start scratching your head. The above is to help you figure out what you will need to purchase at first with a few pearls tossed in.

Refer to my first posting. What is above is explained in depth and other very useful information in this beginners book ABC's of handloading. I know you replied you ordered it already. Another good beginners book is Metallic Cartridge Reloading http://www.amazon.com/Metallic-Cartridge-Reloading-M-McPherson/dp/0873491807.
What kind of reloading were you wanting to do, rifle, pistol or shotgun? Do you have any gear yet?

I agree with Petro_58 you really need to read a basic reloading text in order to understand all the facets of reloading.

I can recommend this; http://www.amazon.com/ABCs-Reloading.../dp/0896896099

Last edited:
I was one of those people who "learn by doing", I am hard headed and don't like to read instructions. I have been reloading for 35 or so years and the only part of the manual I looked at was the load data for what ever ammo I was loading at the time. A few months ago, I bought a new Lyman #49 and I actually opened it up and started reading it. Then I bought a new Speer manual and I read that one, too. What a world of information was in that first 1/3 of those books. I wish I had done the reading 35 years ago, I would probably be better at reloading if I had. Listen to these folks and read, READ the manual before you start!! If you can't read, get someone to read it to you (I am not implying, at all, that you can't read).

I was one of those people who "learn by doing", I am hard headed and don't like to read instructions. I have been reloading for 35 or so years and the only part of the manual I looked at was the load data for what ever ammo I was loading at the time. A few months ago, I bought a new Lyman #49 and I actually opened it up and started reading it. Then I bought a new Speer manual and I read that one, too. What a world of information was in that first 1/3 of those books. I wish I had done the reading 35 years ago, I would probably be better at reloading if I had. Listen to these folks and read, READ the manual before you start!! If you can't read, get someone to read it to you (I am not implying, at all, that you can't read).

Some of the best advice I've seen. Well put.

I have ordered about 3 books on reloading and am waiting on them to arrive. I have also set up with a guy that lives local and reloades so I can watch the process being done. I figure between the books and seeing it done it might help the whole process make sense. You guys are all wonderful and I can't thank you enough for all the advice.

Back
Top Bottom