• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Looking to buy reloading kit -

mkdhotrod

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
145   4
Reaction score
I have a hand press, 9mm, .223, .308, and .40 dies (all Lee), the primers, powders, projectiles. I want to transition to a full blown press mounted on my work bench. preferably one that is easier to press.

Any recommendations, types, etc. What makes a bench press different than a hand press, process wise?

I have a like new Dillon 750 with case feeder that has less than 1000 rounds loaded on it with many many upgrades already on it. I have no need for it as I already have 4 other Dillons.

This press is a 5 station auto progressive. It will speed up you reloading process big time and caliber change over are pretty easy. When I get home from work today, I plan on posting it on here for sale or trade.

PM if you have any questions or want more info on it.
IMG_8039.jpeg

I have a hand press, 9mm, .223, .308, and .40 dies (all Lee), the primers, powders, projectiles. I want to transition to a full blown press mounted on my work bench. preferably one that is easier to press.

Any recommendations, types, etc. What makes a bench press different than a hand press, process wise?
The 750 is a great press if you want a progressive (meaning it moves everything each time you pull the handle) and want to reload volumes of ammo (500-1k+ at a time).

IMHO I would look on here for a good lightly used single stage press or something like a Dillon 550, Lyman, Lee etc. until you learn a bit more (that's assuming you need to learn the basic still even with a hand press).

You should be able to find a good used basic press with the "stuff' you need to reload (scale, powder measure, trimmer for rifle calibers, scale, etc).

Singe stage will be slow to load 9mm and 40 but you can do it and depending upon your quantities, might get you going for a while till you decide what you want. I have an RCBS RockCrusher and a Dillon 550. I still use the Dillon a lot to develop loads and for small production rifle rounds (less than 100).

If you don't have it, buy the Lyman 51st manual and read thru it and it will show you the stuff you might need to get into reloading, and what you might already have.

I can concur on the value of having a really solid single stage somewhere in the mix. If you end up having to resize rifle brass, you'll need a chucky press for that, and not every reloading scenario is gonna be churning out 500 rounds in one batch.

RCBS Rockchucker for the weight and sturdiness
Hornady Lock'n'Load AP for the speed and convenience

I run a Dillon 750, a Lyman Tmag and an RCBS rockchucker. I thought I’d use the Dillon more than I do. I rarely load fully loaded rounds on it. I find I use it for brass prep for the most part. Actual loaded rounds, usually the turret unless it’s small count, rifle calibers for distance which is when I use the RCBS. For that use case though, weighed cases, weighed charges, weighed slugs to eliminate as much variation as possible.

since i'm currently working on new loads, IMHO having a good single stage press is important. I just did a variety of 300 blackout loads (4 different powders), some 44 mag loads with a new bullet (25 rounds), some 45-70 with 2 different powders and some 5.56 with three different loads of the same powder. I can't imagine trying to do that with a progressive press. Plus you learn a lot more about the process along the way.

Good info. Im looking to mainly load bulk 9mm, .40 and 5.56 but more precise loads for .308. Ill look into both the progressive stations and the single stage for those rifle calibers. I have the powder funnels and the reloading manuals, I DO need a case trimmer and a new scale. Luckily, I still have my tumbler and powder funnels laying around.

Better grab that 750–he wouldn’t have a bench full of them if they were not good.

40 is the easiest caliber to reload in your list. Just be careful not to overcharge it. I recommend you start with 40, then 9mm.

I have a 650, the older version of the 750. The resize leverage is much better than the 550.

Back
Top Bottom