• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Idaho Hunt - Predator Defense (.357 PD airlite vs G19)

As said before, we'll know it was you when we find your pistol in a pile of bear scat. I say this to get you to think.
A pistol is a very inefficient round for the most part. Now that said, I wouldn't carry anything smaller than a 44mag. And even that would be light against a charging bear. A flare gun might make better sense

A 357 mag out of a snub nose will lose every time against a 9mm. You best bet would to bring nato spec fmj 9mm rounds. Your muzzle energy of the .357mag out of a 2” barrel will be around 225 ft lbs. The 9mm out of a 4” barrel will be around 410ft lbs. Follow up shots and capacity will also be wins for the 9mm. .357 mag isn’t effective till you are using a 4” or longer barrel. If your shooting a snub nose airweight your going to be struggling to stay in target after the first shot due to the .357 mag load. Go for the full size 9mm. Shoot for the skull of the bear and pray. You should be able to penetrate the skull and maybe the vital organs with 9mm fmj. Neither .357mag or 9mm hollow point will penetrate the skull or vital organs Neither caliber is ideal. Out of the two the better choice would be the full size 9mm unless it’s a weight issue. I think in that case I would ditch the .357mag for a Bowie knife. See below links that can help you with your decision.

Statistics show that shooting a bear with anything will result in you surviving. That said, I’d go Glock. I hate Glocks. But it’s not that much more weight, you can throw a light on at night (which seems super critical if you’re out in the woods) and if you’re like most people, you shoot a big pistol better than a small one. You can also put a red dot on there.

Also having the 357 in a short barrel neuters the magic energy it has.

You could also borrow or buy a smaller 9mm for th trip. My 365x has all the attributes of what the Glock does, is smaller, lighter, skinnier, and same capacity.

What part of Idaho? Grizzly Country?....Given the choice between those two, I would probably go with the one I can shoot the best with the most lethal load I can find that feeds the best (if you choose the semi auto) Buffalo Bore also has a 9mm load that has been used in a grizzly attack with success.
Middle Forks, which doesnt appear to be grizzly country after an initial search. Yeah i suspect 147gr +P out of my 4.5" extended barrel probably doing 1150fps would penetrate more then enough to hit a vital. 9mm is a already sneaky strong performer when it comes to penetration, not considering hard cast combined with +p.

That being said .357 is the same diameter and similar design. So it really comes down to weight and velocity I can achieve out of the neutered the .357. Underwood has a 180gr hard cast rated at 1400fps. I suspect ill be around the ~1000-1050fps out of a snub? Ends up being very similar muzzle energy and i suspect similar penetration as such if true.

On a single shot basis, i suspect similar terminal ballistics. The follow up shots i suspect the .357 to be much more rowdy.

If it's "very" back country it would really come down to weight wouldn't it?
Also, if you're carrying a pack, how are you going to carry the pistol you choose to take? If all you have for the G19 is an IWB holster, is that going to mess with the packs hipbelt. Do you have a pocket holster for the 357?
I'm kicking myself for selling a Ruger LCR 357 that I used to pocket carry when hiking with a pack. Just wasn't thinking.
Yeah, i dont think alot of people have turned the miles and elevation we are planning to tackle. Its going to be brutal. So im trying to be reasonable with weight/lethality/probability. Ill be carrying my firearm and bear spray readily accessible in a chest rig.

Middle Forks, which doesnt appear to be grizzly country after an initial search. Yeah i suspect 147gr +P out of my 4.5" extended barrel probably doing 1150fps would penetrate more then enough to hit a vital. 9mm is a already sneaky strong performer when it comes to penetration, not considering hard cast combined with +p.

That being said .357 is the same diameter and similar design. So it really comes down to weight and velocity I can achieve out of the neutered the .357. Underwood has a 180gr hard cast rated at 1400fps. I suspect ill be around the ~1000-1050fps out of a snub? Ends up being very similar muzzle energy and i suspect similar penetration as such if true.

On a single shot basis, i suspect similar terminal ballistics. The follow up shots i suspect the .357 to be much more rowdy.

Yeah, i dont think alot of people have turned the miles and elevation we are planning to tackle. Its going to be brutal. So im trying to be reasonable with weight/lethality/probability. Ill be carrying my firearm and bear spray readily accessible in a chest rig.

With a 180g .357 mag load you’re gonna be closer to 825-850 fps. That means a muzzle energy of around 280 ft lbs. That’s around 120 ft lbs less then the Glock 19’s muzzle energy. I had an air weight 357 mag and the recoil is gonna be brutal. Plus the sights suck. I don’t see you being able to accurately stay on target on a charging bear. Just save the weight and bring a good knife, bear spray, and your rifle. Have you thought about putting a micro red dot set up in the bolt action rifle? That way you could be set up for quick up and close shots. Something like ROF from Reptilla.

Back
Top Bottom