• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Idaho Hunt - Predator Defense (.357 PD airlite vs G19)

Swine

Default rank <400 posts
Survivalist
19   0
Reaction score
Going on a very back country bow hunting trip in Idaho with lots of mileage on foot planned on very tough terrain, light and fast is highly preferred. Ill be carrying bear spray and spicy Underwood ammo hardcast rounds in whatever chassis I choose. Given snub barrel on the airlite and +p in the 9mm and close to full size barrel, I suspect similar penetration/lethality.

Hoping we can skip beyond the 10mm and other chassis convo's, not going to be buying another gun. That being said which are you carrying for a week of packing a ton of stuff in the back country? Extra firepower but extra weight in the 9mm or recognizing you have bear spray and a reliable wheel gun saving lbs and ounces where you can in your loadout?
-12oz S&W PD .357 5 rnds loaded 14oz
-21oz G19 +P 9mm 15 rnds loaded 28oz

For predatie defense in the woods? Between the 9 and 357? 357 hands down. I do not see the 9mm terminal ballistics anywhere near approaching what the 180 gr flat nose load by Underwood is capable of. Ever. Grab some hard cast 357 loads.

Interesting article in this month's American Hunter about a grizz attack/mauling. Pretty miraculous he survived given the injuries sustained. Guy admitted he wouldn't have had time to draw and shoot. Having said that, he now carries a .44 in a CHEST holster.
As far as your two options, you're kind of throwing lethality out the window so just go with whatever gun you want to be last one you ever shoot. 😉

What part of Idaho? Grizzly Country?....Given the choice between those two, I would probably go with the one I can shoot the best with the most lethal load I can find that feeds the best (if you choose the semi auto) Buffalo Bore also has a 9mm load that has been used in a grizzly attack with success.

If it's "very" back country it would really come down to weight wouldn't it?
Also, if you're carrying a pack, how are you going to carry the pistol you choose to take? If all you have for the G19 is an IWB holster, is that going to mess with the packs hipbelt. Do you have a pocket holster for the 357?
I'm kicking myself for selling a Ruger LCR 357 that I used to pocket carry when hiking with a pack. Just wasn't thinking.

Interesting article in this month's American Hunter about a grizz attack/mauling. Pretty miraculous he survived given the injuries sustained. Guy admitted he wouldn't have had time to draw and shoot. Having said that, he now carries a .44 in a CHEST holster.
As far as your two options, you're kind of throwing lethality out the window so just go with whatever gun you want to be last one you ever shoot. 😉

My UDAP is on my chest (same with my boy), and my .41 magnum / .454 Casull (depending where I'm at) is also on my hip. Bear spray first, revolver if necessary.

Back
Top Bottom