• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Identify this fish

"The hornyhead chub ranges from Wyoming, North Dakota, and South Dakota, east to the Hudson River drainage and south to Oklahoma. In South Dakota, the hornyhead chub is at the western edge of its range. Hornyhead chubs have been found in several water bodies in the Minnesota River Basin including the north and south forks of the Yellowbank River, Monigan Creek, Cobb Creek, Whetstone Creek, the North Fork of Whetstone Creek and Gary Creek in Roberts, Grant and Deuel Counties, as well as in Big Stone Lake in Grant County. In 1952, hornyhead chubs were documented to occur in the Big Sioux River drainage, but the exact location is unknown. The hornyhead chub has not been documented in the Big Sioux River drainage since the finding in 1952, and is likely extirpated from this watershed.[1] They are also found in the Mississippi River basin, Red River drainage, Ohio River and lower Kentucky River systems. They can be found from New York west into the Dakotas with isolated populations in the Platte and Colorado River Systems, and north from Manitoba and south into Kentucky."

Someone alert the authorities, we got illegal aliens taking over our water systems. I have never heard of the hornyhead chub. Looks like a carp to me, but I bow to the experts on this one. :)

Say, What IS a Hornyhead Fish?
www.newbornschoolhouse.org_uploads_3_3_9_7_3397422_5560554.jpg_6da37dd3139aa4d9aa55b8d237ec5d4a.jpg

Hornyhead chubs (Nocomis biguttatus) are very similar in size, shape, and color to creek chubs, and are in the minnow family.

They can grow from 5-7 inches long or even longer, and have "horns" on their heads, thus the name. Horneyhead chubs build their circular six inch high, three foot wide nests in shallow moving water. Some foolish folks in other parts of the world use them as bait fish, but in Newborn, we appreciate them for the characters they are.

At the Newborn Schoolhouse there is a small museum of winning Hornyhead fish of days gone by. Be sure to visit it during the festival.

Carp with AIDS....
I literally laughed out loud as I read this. Lmao!

"The hornyhead chub ranges from Wyoming, North Dakota, and South Dakota, east to the Hudson River drainage and south to Oklahoma. In South Dakota, the hornyhead chub is at the western edge of its range. Hornyhead chubs have been found in several water bodies in the Minnesota River Basin including the north and south forks of the Yellowbank River, Monigan Creek, Cobb Creek, Whetstone Creek, the North Fork of Whetstone Creek and Gary Creek in Roberts, Grant and Deuel Counties, as well as in Big Stone Lake in Grant County. In 1952, hornyhead chubs were documented to occur in the Big Sioux River drainage, but the exact location is unknown. The hornyhead chub has not been documented in the Big Sioux River drainage since the finding in 1952, and is likely extirpated from this watershed.[1] They are also found in the Mississippi River basin, Red River drainage, Ohio River and lower Kentucky River systems. They can be found from New York west into the Dakotas with isolated populations in the Platte and Colorado River Systems, and north from Manitoba and south into Kentucky."

Someone alert the authorities, we got illegal aliens taking over our water systems. I have never heard of the hornyhead chub. Looks like a carp to me, but I bow to the experts on this one. :)
I've never heard of such a critter before either, don't sound like they get big enough to eat though, except maybe for a survival type situation but you'd have to catch a BUNCH of those little rascals.

I literally laughed out loud as I read this. Lmao!

I've never heard of such a critter before either, don't sound like they get big enough to eat though, except maybe for a survival type situation but you'd have to catch a BUNCH of those little rascals.

Growing up camping as young boys, we'd fry a mess up with the odd red eye bass and flour gravy....we thought that was Kings eatin'!

Back
Top Bottom