• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

I'm glad I checked

fuelman1

Default rank <3000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
87   0
Reaction score
We have been going down to Oaky Woods WMA and hog hunting during small game season for the last 10 years or so. We started out going with .22 mag rifles and then figured out that muzzleloaders were the way to go. A few years ago DNR changed the regs and allowed for hunting coyotes on WMA's with centerfire rifles. That meant that while coyote hunting you could take hogs with your deer rifle. The majority of the guys we would see were hunting with deer rifles. They removed that wording from the regs this year and it's back to being able to use only the weapon for whatever season is in. We rarely see the game warden but I bet there's lots of folks who are assuming nothing has changed. They may find themselves with an expensive ticket. It's back to muzzleloaders for us

Good to know and thanks for the heads up. I carry my Encore 50 anyway but know some who use center fire. I to will spread the word.

yup sounds like that could lead to an expensive one fast. I wonder is the restriction to rimfire or .22 cal? if .22 im wondering if you could get by with a 22-250 which I've heard about folks using to get around some restrictions before

If they would get some third graders to compose a regulation guide, it would probably be a vast improvement.

There should be a guide to any regulations that have changed from the previous year.

The "Rules and Regulations" are written to be vague and confusing, so more revenue can be generated. There are a lot of people that break violate the regulations because they didn't know any better, not because they want to be law breakers.

yup sounds like that could lead to an expensive one fast. I wonder is the restriction to rimfire or .22 cal? if .22 im wondering if you could get by with a 22-250 which I've heard about folks using to get around some restrictions before
22-250 is Centerfire. That's a no go. Small game is rimfire, shotguns with birdshot, archery, and blackpowder. We've stacked up some hogs before using blackpowder. I'm sure we could do it again. I wondered the last couple of years if someone at DNR wouldn't figure this out and at the very least require hunter orange. We saw some that wore it and some that didn't. I always wore it. WMA+high power rifles= watch your butt.

Well now don't I feel stupid. They changed the wording. The regs say you can use center fire for foxes and bobcats. I called the region 4 game office to clarify. If you are hunting "foxes and bobcats" you can use a center fire rifle. If you happen upon a hog then it's fine to shoot it. The subtle change of the wording and the way they write the regs leaves things kind of gray instead of black and white. Putting up the muzzle loader and warming up the AR's.

Well now don't I feel stupid. They changed the wording. The regs say you can use center fire for foxes and bobcats. I called the region 4 game office to clarify. If you are hunting "foxes and bobcats" you can use a center fire rifle. If you happen upon a hog then it's fine to shoot it. The subtle change of the wording and the way they write the regs leaves things kind of gray instead of black and white. Putting up the muzzle loader and warming up the AR's.

If they would get some third graders to compose a regulation guide, it would probably be a vast improvement.
There should be a guide to any regulations that have changed from the previous year.

The "Rules and Regulations" are written to be vague and confusing, so more revenue can be generated. There are a lot of people that break violate the regulations because they didn't know any better, not because they want to be law breakers.

Back
Top Bottom