• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Imacasa 28" blade machete review

Tiamat

Default rank <1250 posts
ODT Junkie!
36   0
Reaction score
I purchased this machete not expecting much. After reprofiling and sharpening. I have to say that this thing is awesome. The long blade took a little getting used to. It has flex, but I expected a blade this long to have some. 3" saplings in one swing. 8" pine in 5 or 6. The edge is still able to slice paper after 4 hours of heavy work.
if you want an great machete that will keep your hand away from thorns and able to cut down trees in few swigs, the imacasa 28" (33" overall length)pata de cuche machete won't disappoint.
( without reprofile and sharpening the performance was just not there)

Now I'm looking for a leather sheath for this beast. The cheapest I've found was 27.00 with 15 S&H. If anyone has a source please let me know. It is just to dangerous without a sheath.

When I was in Costa Rica machetes were very common in use tools, even cutting grass with them in some areas of the country. At the place were staying one afternoon I watched as workers were pruning trees with them. They sharpened them with regularity. As they got close to our room I asked if I could see one, I was curious the brand, I believe it was an Imacasa. He was proud of it and was quite proficient in it's usage. Should have snapped a picture.

I put an extra thin edge on this machete. It took me about an hour and a half to get the way it is now. I used a medium and fine cut mill file followed by a 500 grit diamond file and finally several passes with my edge pros 800 grit stone. I've used machetes since I was a teenager and can honestly tell you that those 4 hours whooped me. I give a lot of respect to the men who use these all day long.

When I was in Costa Rica machetes were very common in use tools, even cutting grass with them in some areas of the country. At the place were staying one afternoon I watched as workers were pruning trees with them. They sharpened them with regularity. As they got close to our room I asked if I could see one, I was curious the brand, I believe it was an Imacasa. He was proud of it and was quite proficient in it's usage. Should have snapped a picture.
My wife brought me back a Coroneta No. 5 from CR in a nice embossed sheath. After a few passes with stones, it's a razor blade. Latin countries KNOW machetes, the steel has a completely different feel from US made stuff, and actually holds an edge. Prolly the coolest Souvenir she brought back.

Back
Top Bottom