• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

info on building a deck

gh1950

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
105   0
Reaction score
I need to replace a deck, Last time it was the SO's project, and the son of a good friend and his good friend replaced the deck material with wood that has rotted completely through. I'm talking about step on it and fall through the deck rotten.

They used the same substructure, which wasn't good then.

So I am going to rebuild the whole deck. I want to raise it about a foot and a half, and then build a "Florida Room" on one half of it.

I am reasonably handy so I want to most of the work of getting the foundation down, the deck laid,

It has to be permitted and for permitting I need some sort of plan.

What is a good source of plans. I can draw out what I want, but not to building specifications. Actually I can, I just don't feel like doing it.

Since you will have a room over part of the above ground deck you might consider making all of the footings the same strength. Also, be sure to use galvanized nails and screws when putting in joists and planking.

I pulled a permit for my addition and they didn't require any prints. Not sure if that's a county thing or a state thing though. I did have to show a plat of my land with the dimensions and locations of the addition it. The first inspection was where the addition was going and silt protection. But I had no formal or structural prints to work from or inspect from. Some of the things were over designed in my opinion but I had to do it that way to meet code (which I felt to be whatever the inspector was thinking about that day) but if I had it designed I probably could of gotten away with less.

Good question, GH1950.
So what you want is an architect who is familiar with all the details of the (2018) or whatever the latest version is, maybe 2014 or something) International Residential Code and International Building Code, the International Fire Safety Code, and the Georgia Amendments to them (again, 2014 or whatever to the present year).
Wouldn't that be the job of an architect, to do a line-drawing of the build plans with close-ups showing details of how certain joints work, how the flashing ties in to the trim, specifying what size nails and screws to use in which areas, etc?

What if you hand-draw your own plans with sketches arrows or numbers calling attention to certain areas, and then you refer to several typed pages of specifications, giving the specs for those areas seen on the main drawing? Do you think the County would be OK with that?

footers and load specs are one thing you will want to know, since you putting a room on one end. Live load and dead load can be factors.

Good question, GH1950.
So what you want is an architect who is familiar with all the details of the (2018) or whatever the latest version is, maybe 2014 or something) International Residential Code and International Building Code, the International Fire Safety Code, and the Georgia Amendments to them (again, 2014 or whatever to the present year).
Wouldn't that be the job of an architect, to do a line-drawing of the build plans with close-ups showing details of how certain joints work, how the flashing ties in to the trim, specifying what size nails and screws to use in which areas, etc?

What if you hand-draw your own plans with sketches arrows or numbers calling attention to certain areas, and then you refer to several typed pages of specifications, giving the specs for those areas seen on the main drawing? Do you think the County would be OK with that?

Even if they are O.K. with hand drawn prints if there is something not drawn to code the code will dictate how the construction is to be done unless there is an engineers stamp on the prints with the design intent. The stamp on prints is what you pay for more than anything on projects like this. Most deck builders get the idea/shape of what you are looking for then just use what they know to build it from there.

On my 1 story addition they made me do a 20" turndown footing along the edge of my slab. My 2 story house has a 12" turndown. I do concrete for a living and have seen 5 story wood structures on 24" turn down slabs. The footing for my posts for my steps had to be 2' x 2' x 12" I felt this to be over kill but if the inspector doesn't pass it then you have bigger problems. I'm not sure if your house is brick but I do know that you are not allowed to use the brick as a structural side to your deck, I.E. you will need post against your house to support the deck.

Lot depends on where you live. Just finished 3 projects with my son, in Woodstock. #1 Expanded a new deck; <200 ft. sq. and 24" of ground. No permit req'd. #2 Enclosed a carport to a garage; drew scaled elevation with pictures. Had to install drywall on house living room wall, used 3/8", they did not specify. Rated door between garage and house-fortunately, metal door already there. Permit required for construction. If I needed to extend electrical would need an electrical permit. Converted ceiling light to an outlet for opener, already had a GF outlet in carport, no electrical permit needed., 2 inspections, passed with no problem. #3 Built a freestanding shed, set on 6X6 PT. 120 ft. sq. No permit req/d. Woodstock was easy to work with.

I need to replace a deck, Last time it was the SO's project, and the son of a good friend and his good friend replaced the deck material with wood that has rotted completely through. I'm talking about step on it and fall through the deck rotten.

They used the same substructure, which wasn't good then.

So I am going to rebuild the whole deck. I want to raise it about a foot and a half, and then build a "Florida Room" on one half of it.

I am reasonably handy so I want to most of the work of getting the foundation down, the deck laid,

It has to be permitted and for permitting I need some sort of plan.

What is a good source of plans. I can draw out what I want, but not to building specifications. Actually I can, I just don't feel like doing it.

This will show you details, span, and make sure your code compliant.

Attachments

• Deck Code_unlocked.pdf
    3.3 MB · Views: 17
Back
Top Bottom