Installing front sights ?'s

77REBELBOWTIE

Default rank <3500 posts
ODT Junkie!
43   0
Reaction score
I have a cheap .22 pistol that I want to install a front sight on. The rear sight is adjustable. I'm wanting to know if it would be better to install a screw mounted or a dove tail mount. Also where would be the best place to find cheap sights, don't want to install $100 sights on a $100 dollar gun. Any tips would be appreciated.

I have a cheap .22 pistol that I want to install a front sight on. The rear sight is adjustable. I'm wanting to know if it would be better to install a screw mounted or a dove tail mount. Also where would be the best place to find cheap sights, don't want to install $100 sights on a $100 dollar gun. Any tips would be appreciated.

What kind of pistol is it? Phoenix, Taurus, Jennings? If it's a short barrel .22 it's probably not going to help much to put sights in it.

A Rexio 9 shot revolver. I know it ain't high dollar, but I can't afford to hone my skills on anything of value. Got it cheap and already planning a full make over; refinishing, custom grips, and a sight.

A Rexio 9 shot revolver. I know it ain't high dollar, but I can't afford to hone my skills on anything of value. Got it cheap and already planning a full make over; refinishing, custom grips, and a sight.

You're gonna need to post a pic. All the pic's of them I find on the net show it has a blade front sight but I can't tell if it's pinned on or soldered on.

Its actually machined in. Thought about maybe making my own, if i don't get a fiber optic.

You could always try drilling it and inserting a FO rod. If you don't have access to a machine shop there are a couple MFG's that make a front sight designed to fit over a blade sight, if you do that you'll need to replace the rear too because you'll be raising the front. I believe Hi Viz is one of the sight Co's, can't think of the others at the moment.

i44.tinypic.com_15i4zyc.jpg

Is this your revolver model?

It appears that it's not dovetailed. You can pull the blade and measure it to see if you can match to another brand or just make or modify an existing one. Machining it for a dovetail will probably cost you more than it's worth, unless you have a machinist for a friend.

Machining it for a dovetail will probably cost you more than it's worth, unless you have a machinist for a friend.

Lots of dovetails have been cut with a file. Take your time, measure lots, and it's doable. Not my preference, but for a cheap gun that you're practicing your skills on it would be a good start.

Similar but with rubber grips and no insert in the front ramp. I'll do all of the machining and fabrication myself, I have access to a mill and lathe if I need it. I have some wood pieces I want to make the grips out of.

Last edited:
Similar but with rubber grips and no insert in the front ramp. I'll do all of the machining and fabrication myself, I have access to a mill and lathe if I need it. I have some wood pieces I want to make the grips out of.

Great then! It looks like plenty of meat to mill a dovetail. Making a front sight blade should be fairly easy with the mill. Good project gun to improve.

Back
Top Bottom