• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

interesting time at the tag office

that was pretty funny...

but in all seriousness how does the sales tax work? I'm thinking of picking up a used civic (need the fuel economy) for ~$3000-4000. is it a percentage of the cost of the car?

On a related note....Just a heads up for those who head out of state (GA) to buy your ATV/UTV to avoid sales tax. Be forewarned it will someday catch up to you. Even though ATV's are not registered here in GA the manufacturer's certificate or statement of origin (MCO or MSO), an out-of-state title certificate or registration certificate goes to the state of residency.

The new rules take effect 03-01-13 with voluntary participation from Jan 1 thru Feb 28. The Jag guy may have generated tax by purchasing out of state or from an in state resident that had the car titled in a corporate name (this latter gets a lot of high end buyers as sellers are typically small business owners that run everything they can through the company).

The first year I moved to Georgia, I only had to pay $20 for the tag for each vehicle. I also transferred my titles from out of state at that time and was only charged like $15-$20 for that.
I never got charged the Valorem tax until I renewed.

If the Jag dude bought from a dealer, he should have gotten on the phone with the dealer right there in the tag office. Even out-of-state dealers are required to collect sales tax based on the county you live in here in GA. I bought my last car in NC, and they collected the tax there and sent it to Cobb County with the tag forms. My buddy just bought a new car in SC, and the dealer did the same thing. I bought a new car last January...guess what, I paid about $1900 in sales tax on the spot.

Somebody took the Jag owner for a ride...

Back
Top Bottom