• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Is it just me?

Would you still buy the gun if you were in my shoes?

• Yes

Votes: 23 79.3%
  • No

Votes: 6 20.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

nadroj1485

Default rank <50 posts
Outdoorsman
7   0
Reaction score
So I have been lurking on the site for a weeks now and finally came across a gun I was interested in so I sent the seller a PM to gather more information. Well, after a bunch of back and forth messages over a few days I was finally satisfied and we even agreed to a price and everything. He lives a couple of hours away from me so I asked where we could meet up so that I could see the firearm being shot (like a local range or something.) Well he said he did not currently have any place to shoot and suggested we meet at Lowes. This made me a little nervous but I figured it wasn't the end of the world as long as he could guarantee the firearm functions and that I could bring it back if I found out that it didn't (he hasn't shot the gun in a few years.) The seller kind of balked at that suggestion and made it sound like something that no one would ever agree to. However, in my mind this sets off a lot of red flags. This is a milsurp rifle that is over 60 years old but I would never purchase a firearm that doesn't function so it seemed like a reasonable request.

The seller has been a member for several years now and has around 50 positive feedback without any negatives but I still do not really feel comfortable when the gun hasn't been shot for so long. I know this isn't the retail market and the buyers here will never have the same protections as when buying from a company but is it common for people to buy guns on here without any kind of verification that it works and no recourse if it doesn't?

So I have been lurking on the site for a weeks now and finally came across a gun I was interested in so I sent the seller a PM to gather more information. Well, after a bunch of back and forth messages over a few days I was finally satisfied and we even agreed to a price and everything. He lives a couple of hours away from me so I asked where we could meet up so that I could see the firearm being shot (like a local range or something.) Well he said he did not currently have any place to shoot and suggested we meet at Lowes. This made me a little nervous but I figured it wasn't the end of the world as long as he could guarantee the firearm functions and that I could bring it back if I found out that it didn't (he hasn't shot the gun in a few years.) The seller kind of balked at that suggestion and made it sound like something that no one would ever agree to. However, in my mind this sets off a lot of red flags. This is a milsurp rifle that is over 60 years old but I would never purchase a firearm that doesn't function so it seemed like a reasonable request.

The seller has been a member for several years now and has around 50 positive feedback without any negatives but I still do not really feel comfortable when the gun hasn't been shot for so long. I know this isn't the retail market and the buyers here will never have the same protections as when buying from a company but is it common for people to buy guns on here without any kind of verification that it works and no recourse if it doesn't?
There's no returns here. It just doesn't work that way. No you're not crazy for wanting to make sure the gun works, but it's part of the risk you run buying ANY gun (even at the gun store). That said, guns that don't work are just not that common as long as you're not buying Lorcins and Jennings.

Me, but its just because I like to balance the playing field lol
i.imgur.com_fVx8xzz.gif

Interesting to see the responses. Definitely not what I expected but I have been wrong enough to know to check when something is new to me. So do most deals on here go down without ever seeing the firearm function before purchase?

this is true.....bought a rifle from a pawn shop once, only to find out later that it didn't have a firing pin

And they wouldn't let you take it back or give you a firing pin? I guess I just always kind of assumed that any company would allow you to return a non functioning product but I have only bought a couple of firearms in my life and never really purchased anything from a pawn shop.

Interesting to see the responses. Definitely not what I expected but I have been wrong enough to know to check when something is new to me. So do most deals on here go down without ever seeing the firearm function before purchase?

And they wouldn't let you take it back or give you a firing pin? I guess I just always kind of assumed that any company would allow you to return a non functioning product but I have only bought a couple of firearms in my life and never really purchased anything from a pawn shop.

to the first part, yes. i don't think i've ever fired a firearm prior to purchase.

and part 2, never even asked.....it was only a few bucks and i think it sat in the safe for 3-4 months before i even took it out to shoot it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom