Is it nessecary?

In an AR the difference between the GO and the NO GO are 0.003", the difference between the GO and a FIELD Gauge are 0.006". If the barrel and the bolt are from the same manufacturer or it came as a complete unit then I wouldn't be too concerned, however if you are mixing and matching barrels and bolts (Not Carriers, just bolts) it's not a bad idea to pick up a set of gauges and check. Excessive head space can cause case head separations, extraction problems, and case splitting or rupturing. Too little head space and you will probably not be able to chamber and fire a round properly. It's worth the time an money if you do a lot of DIY AR Builds to invest in a set of gauges. Only a small percentage of the ARs that I've had through my shop have had head space issues, but the trouble and damage it causes makes the head space gauges worth the money. Much cheaper than a catastrophic case failure.

Thanks Brian, well appreciated from a full service gunsmith.

I will probably be contacting you this fall for a shotgun issue I can't seem to resolve. I haven't given up yet, though!

In an AR the difference between the GO and the NO GO are 0.003", the difference between the GO and a FIELD Gauge are 0.006". If the barrel and the bolt are from the same manufacturer or it came as a complete unit then I wouldn't be too concerned, however if you are mixing and matching barrels and bolts (Not Carriers, just bolts) it's not a bad idea to pick up a set of gauges and check. Excessive head space can cause case head separations, extraction problems, and case splitting or rupturing. Too little head space and you will probably not be able to chamber and fire a round properly. It's worth the time an money if you do a lot of DIY AR Builds to invest in a set of gauges. Only a small percentage of the ARs that I've had through my shop have had head space issues, but the trouble and damage it causes makes the head space gauges worth the money. Much cheaper than a catastrophic case failure.
It amazes me that someone like Brian Ott can post solid, professional information like this on the ODT and you guys completely ignore it. Get your heads out of your anal orifices, please!

Brian, thanks for the post.

Who ignored it?

I thought it was great.

A few of us just were not done discussing it.

MTdawg, Your lack of respect for other people's post amazes me.

Back
Top Bottom