Is there a $300 xbow worth buying?

I bought one two years ago. I know that you have described yourself as tall (over 6 feet if I remember correctly). I am short, at 5'2". It is almost impossible for me to pull the bow back (my arms aren't long enough). And I'm not young (49). We have a friend that is in his 70s and he as a cool apparatus that you install on the bow and then you "crank" it to pull the string back. I thing that thing is worth the money.

We paid almost $500 for ours 2 years ago. I don't remember the brand but I think it was called "wicked ridge". The $500 did include a cheap scope that is only good for about 50 yards.

Good luck. As you have indicated, there are a lot of choices out there and it can be confusing.

I've used the Barnett Jackal. It got the job done. Shoots straight (can keep it in a 4" circle at 50 yards, might be more accurate than that but I dont shoot at my arrows stuck in the target so I dont see real "groups"), not to noisy and had enough power (right at 300 fps advertised). Punched a 100gr Swhacker clean through at 30 yards, it was a quartering to shot also. It is wide and bulky though. Not a stalking bow for sure.

I've since "upgraded" to the Barnett Raptor FX. Faster (330 fps) and a lot more compact. I think its more in the $400- $450 range though. Having shot some other high end bow like Ten Point, Wicked Ridge. I think the Raptor really is all anyone needs. I do have a thing for the Excalibur though, like the idea of the recurve. Not going to spend the money though.

Crappy picture of the Barnett Jackal getting it done on a little 5 pointer a few seasons ago. This was the 30 yard shot mentioned above. You can see how wide this thing is, no thats not a fawn with horns glued on...

1003141853-00.jpg

I have a Buck Commander in great shape.. It's yours for $300! it comes with the three bolts you see and a lighted three circle radical.

Attachments

• IMG_0330.JPG
    IMG_0330.JPG
    95.8 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0331.JPG
    IMG_0331.JPG
    98.1 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0332.JPG
    IMG_0332.JPG
    101.9 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0333.JPG
    IMG_0333.JPG