It was a good night

Flammenwerfer

Default rank <4500 posts
Úlfhéthnar
61   0
Reaction score
So, after our decisions to stray away from 5 gallon buckets for long term storage, we settled on half-pint, pint and quart jars to use for long term storage. We chose this method over Mylar bags and huge buckets for several reasons. The reasons being: we didn't want to have all of our eggs in one basket per say, we wanted to be able stack the jars in cases and label them with instructions, and lastly, we like the idea of storing in containers closer to serving sizes with out disturbing the rest.

Simply by washing the jars, boiling the lids, letting them dry, fill and add oxygen absorbers and putting the lids and rings on. Within 1 hour they had all "pinged"

This method is perfect for the following DRY food items;

Powdered milk
Powdered cheese
Oatmeal
Grits
Beans
White rice
Pasta
And dried potato flakes etc...

It's fairly inexpensive to work with also, it's not very time consuming either.

Every little bit helps

Yep! Truprep.com they have everything you need!

I just did the math on what I canned last night. 14 total quarts of dried foods, with an average price of $1.22 per quart. A quart of rice would cover quiet a bit of people. Remember with rice, double the uncooked amount for the serving size (1 cup uncooked = 2 cups cooked)

How do they seal if the jars and lids are not extreemly hot? I've caned alot but never anything dry and I think I want to try it. Also have you ever thought of putting nitrogen in the jars to push out the oxygen instead of using the o2 packs?

Back
Top Bottom