• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Item Gone: FS/FT .303 British Martini-Enfield Carbine

Status
Not open for further replies.

martinihenry

Default rank <50 posts
Outdoorsman
2   0
Reaction score
Item Name: Item Gone: FS/FT .303 British Martini-Enfield Carbine

Zip Code: 31569

Item is for: Sale or Trade
Sale Price: $650
Trade Value or Items Looking For: Looking for a 45 Colt revolver, and a lever action cowboy action rifle also in 45 Colt. Also interested in OLD firearms in general.

Caliber: Other

Willing to Ship: No

Bill of Sale Required?: No

Item Description: Nice British-made Martini-Enfield .303 carbine. I imported this rifle from Australia about 25 years ago. It is NOT a mud hut-made Khyber Pass rifle like the ones the GIs all brought back from Afghanistan 15 years ago. The weapon has Birmingham Proofhouse marks on its knoxform from when it was nitro-proofed. This is a trade-pattern weapon, made for sale to civilians, governments and businesses, it is NOT a military pattern Martini, but it is definitely of British manufacture.
The rifle was used as a guard's gun in a prison on the island of Tasmania according to the dealer that sold me the rifle. The buttstock bears unit markings, but I've never been able to decipher them. Overall condition is good, but there is some chipping of the buttstock wood where it meets the action body. See pictures. The bore is decent but there is some pitting in the last ⅓ of the bore. Not terrible, but worthy of mention. There are blemishes and dents here and there, as is to be expected from a 130+ year old firearm. The barrel finish is quite nice, but the finish on the action body has faded to a purplish plum color, and is showing through to the white in some places. Overall, a nice example of a workhorse Martini-Enfield carbine.

I'm pretty firm on the price, but I think it's very fair. I'd entertain trades or partial trades for OLD guns. I have ZERO interest in acquiring Glocks, Sigs, ARs, tactical shotguns or anything like that. I am specifically looking for a revolver in 45 Colt (the "Long" variety, not "ACP").

Since I imported this rifle, and had to do a 4473 on it, I'd insist on getting a hand-written bill of sale to cover my butt if you decide to hold up the stagecoach with this thing.

Let me know if you need pictures of anything specifically, and I'll oblige. I'm willing to drive 50 miles from Camden County, GA to do a meet-up.

IMG_3712.jpg
IMG_3691.jpg
IMG_3680.jpg
IMG_3684.JPG
IMG_3685.JPG
IMG_3683.JPG
IMG_3682.JPG
IMG_3690.JPG
IMG_3689.JPG
IMG_3688.JPG

Pictures:
IMG_3687.JPG

DISCLAIMER: Always comply with local, state, federal, and international law. The Outdoors Trader does not become involved in transactions between parties. Review our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use for more information.
Those are definitely military markings on the butt.
Correct. The rifle has a mix of war department and civilian markings. You can see the "III" mark of arm marking, the first class arm marking and the BA & A Co. mfgr's roundel, as well as the S.O.S. opposing broad arrows. The rear sights also have the war department broad arrow marking. Then there are the civilian proof house markings.

It's quite possible it was assembled into a weapon from surplus military parts (but not the action body as there's no sovereign's cypher) to be sold in the civilian market.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom