Item Relisted! Chocolate Lab

There are 90 million dogs in the US. That means the number that have this reaction to those meds are nearly statistically zero. Those meds also prevent very prevalent and deadly diseases. Have you ever seen a dog in the late stages of a heartworm infestation?

Give your dog their Heartworm meds.
I wouldn't even consider withholding heart worm meds from my dog. The likelihood of her suffering a seizure from it is statistically nil. And I've PAID for strays (that followed my dog home) to have their blood cleared of heart worm larvae and it was NOT cheap.

Americans spend an unGodly amount of money on their dogs and cats. There is no telling how many tens of millions of pets are on Nexguard and it'd be foolish to ignore the efficacy of the medicine based on 1,700 reports of seizures. Especially when you consider that some of the animals could have had an allergic reaction to the med OR they may have had a pre-existing condition that made them have seizures in prior to administering of the med.

The big difference is there are many topical alternatives for flea and tick prevention, not so for Heartworm. Always treat all dogs for Heartworm prevention.
The topical is just another delivery system. The medications are still absorbed through the skin and get into the body. That's the only way they work.

The prevention mine was taking was Tei-fecta, made by Semperica. So yea technically it was one for all three. Heart worms/ fleas and ticks. Come to find out, Aussies have about a 50 percent chance of carrying the MDR gene, which highly increases adverse reactions with any med containing the ingredients found in it. It was the only meds he had ever taken. He lost his vision, then rapidly went down hill having seizures and sadly never recovered. I totally agree that dogs get their heart worm preventatives, there just needs to be some awareness made to get them on the right brand/dosages. My parents also almost lost their dog because the dosage was too much. After adjustments, she totally thrived and lives a long life.

The prevention mine was taking was Tei-fecta, made by Semperica. So yea technically it was one for all three. Heart worms/ fleas and ticks. Come to find out, Aussies have about a 50 percent chance of carrying the MDR gene, which highly increases adverse reactions with any med containing the ingredients found in it. It was the only meds he had ever taken. He lost his vision, then rapidly went down hill having seizures and sadly never recovered. I totally agree that dogs get their heart worm preventatives, there just needs to be some awareness made to get them on the right brand/dosages. My parents also almost lost their dog because the dosage was too much. After adjustments, she totally thrived and lives a long life.

Well, 50 years living in the south and having dogs.. I’ve never had one get heart worms, but have definitely had one suffer seizures from Simperica

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bump, help me find him a safe home please
488a0759be909157ddcfac17a818f168.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom