• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Item Relisted! FS/FT Starter kit AR-15 MilSport

FLcracker

Default rank <3500 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
Reaction score
Item has been relisted, you can find the new listing at: https://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/threads/fs-ft-starter-kit-ar-15-milsport.2188375/
Item Name: FS/FT Starter kit MilSport AR-15 carbine

Zip Code: 30013

Item is for: Sale or Trade
Sale Price: $575.00 Firm
Trade Value or Items Looking For: $650.00

Caliber: 5.56 x 45

Willing to Ship: No

Bill of Sale Required?: No

Item Description: A good rifle for those seeking to get into the AR-15 arena for the first time. If not for you, good for other family members in need of self protection rifle or plinker. The AR-15 is a Universal Commodity. American Tactical MilSport aluminum upper and lower. Nice MilSport roll mark instead of something.... like a galloping horse head. :-)

5.56x45 caliber. I am not sure of barrel twist, but pretty sure it is NOT 1:12. So, should be able to handle most 5.56 ammo. It does shoot Fiocchi frangible ammo reliably. A good ammo for urban environment. Has a Tru Glo front sight which lights up in complete darkness as well as a fiber optic element which shows green in daylight. Nice aiming point. Removable lightweight carry handle with rear sight. In excellent condition overall. I have shot this rifle for approximately 200 rounds. No issue. Comes 2 magazines. An aluminum 30 round magazine and a Lancer polymer magazine, 30 round. Also comes with box of 50 rounds CBC mil spec ammo.

The trades I am looking for are a Springfield Hellcat, in box with accessories. NOT the high end model, but the standard model.

OR the following ammo in quantity. Prefer 1,000 round cases, but will accept at least 500 of any one caliber.

10mm, .45 ACP, .38 Super for pistol calibers. 5.56x45 (55 grain), .30 carbine, .300 AAC, or any caliber by MEN (German manufacturer) including .303.

Any original Armalite AR-180 accessories. Mags, scope, sharpshooters kit, bipod, etc.

But cash works if you don't have any of these items for trade.

Members with no feedback or only a few will need to show me a GA DL or other form of ID. Concealed is preferred, but not absolutely required. I just need to confirm you are of age and legal in Georgia.

Here are a few pics...

IMG_20200416_113502268.jpg
IMG_20200416_113508729.jpg
IMG_20200416_113519535.jpg
IMG_20200416_113542116.jpg
IMG_20200416_113551547.jpg
IMG_20200416_113622299.jpg

I am looking at getting into an Ar but need a little more education on them. I see alot of people talk about Twist?????? What is that referring to and what does it do?

I am looking at getting into an Ar but need a little more education on them. I see alot of people talk about Twist?????? What is that referring to and what does it do?

Twist Rate refers the design of the barrel grooves and how many turns the bullet makes before exiting. The higher the twist rate (1:7 is faster than 1:9 for example) the more stabilization you get. Higher twist rates are typically good for heavier bullet weights. For a basic AR rifle used for general purposes, almost any twist rate will be fine for typical 55 grain bullets.

Thanks Myonlybliss, had been away from computer a good part of the day.

Just a little history gtaff. When the earliest ARs were coming out, they started with a 1 in 14 twist, but it was soon discovered that it did not stabilize the 55 grain bullet in sub zero temps, so they (Armalite) bumped the twist to 1 in 12. The WHOLE point of the little .22 bullet was that it would tumble soon after entering soft flesh. It would cause a nasty wound channel, as it became unstable it the target medium, tumbled and fragmented, which it does. But you also have to have the bullet stable enough to fly to it's target and dump the energy.

If you ever shoot 62 grain bullets in a 1 in 12 twist rate barrel (M-16A1), you will get key holing at very close ranges, meaning the bullet is not being stabilized by the spin (twist) of the barrel.

A 1 in 8 or 1 in 9 barrel with stabilize both 55 grain and 62 grain bullets. The 1 in 8 will also stabilize the heavier 77 grain that is of recent years. Many ARs have a 1 in 7 twist now that covers the whole range of bullet weights. Some might argue it makes the original 55 grain bullet a bit less effective, from over stabilization, but it still punches a nice neat hole.

I need to update myself on what happens in targets with a 55 grains out of a 1:7 twist barrel. I don't believe this is a 1:7 barrel.

Probably more than you cared to know.

Back
Top Bottom