• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Item Relisted! FS Hand made cutting boards

Wow really beautiful is that Maple? I have considered buying a small lathe to play with. But haven't pulled the trigger on that yet. (Limited room in shop) Like you just like working with the wood and creating something unique and beautiful and usually give them away to family for birthdays and such. Thanks for sharing.

Yes, it is quilted, curly, or sometimes called "tiger maple". It is really ordinary "soft maple". Curly maple is difficult to plane and finish due to the alternating grain that creates the quilted effect. Most cabinet shops cull it out. I get mine from a local cabinet shop that does just that, I cull it out and pay them at their cost.

I recommend that instead of getting a small lathe, get the biggest, heaviest one you can afford. You can easily do small turnings on a large lathe, but are often quite limited in working big things on a small one. A small light weight lathe will shake itself to death if the work-piece is unbalanced, especially when roughing out bowls from a green-blank. Having a bad experience with a lightweight inexpensive lathe has caused many potential wood turner to give up before they get started.

Regardless, nice work

Sorry I haven't replied, the cable company while installing new lines somehow disconnected my internet service. I appreciate your advice and when I can, I will buy a lathe, I'll get the largest I can afford.

Back
Top Bottom