• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Item Relisted! FT *Fully Functional* Antique Double Barrel 12ga

taker73

Default rank <500 posts
Survivalist
Reaction score
This is a true antique 12ga “rabbit ear” double barrel. The brand is Enders Royal Service. It was built in 1911 and is fully functional. Given it’s age, it does require softer shooting loads such as paper shells. Also, considering it is over 100 years old, I would consider its condition to be good to excellent.

I definitely don’t need to sell it, but would like to see what someone might want to trade. Preferably looking for another shotgun, but will consider others.

Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• B905B1E3-C2D1-4CA1-A622-B6C18478F13A.jpeg
    B905B1E3-C2D1-4CA1-A622-B6C18478F13A.jpeg
    79.9 KB · Views: 692
  • 513D084D-E419-44B8-9927-95237C5177DC.jpeg
    513D084D-E419-44B8-9927-95237C5177DC.jpeg
    62.8 KB · Views: 237
  • 069CEA0B-4C98-4985-8B96-5965CFDE2B6F.jpeg
    069CEA0B-4C98-4985-8B96-5965CFDE2B6F.jpeg
    78.6 KB · Views: 236
  • C655825E-59A1-4F1C-8EF2-F4D5FEE39CD9.jpeg
    C655825E-59A1-4F1C-8EF2-F4D5FEE39CD9.jpeg
    52.5 KB · Views: 236
Would it happen to have any stamps on the flats barrels chamber end?
The only marks I recall it having are what I believe to be the serial numbers and a few other things that helped me determine it was made in 1911. However, I’ll definitely look again in the AM

This is a true antique 12ga “rabbit ear” double barrel. The brand is Enders Royal Service. It was built in 1911 and is fully functional. Given it’s age, it does require softer shooting loads such as paper shells. Also, considering it is over 100 years old, I would consider its condition to be good to excellent.

I definitely don’t need to sell it, but would like to see what someone might want to trade. Preferably looking for another shotgun, but will consider others.

Thanks for looking.
To suggest that it can be fired safely with any so-called soft load without having a thorough inspection by a skilled gunsmith specializing in this type of gun is both disingenuous and dangerous.

To suggest that it can be fired safely with any so-called soft load without having a thorough inspection by a skilled gunsmith specializing in this type of gun is both disingenuous and dangerous.
not really. The issue is moreso case length as these older guns are mostly cut for 60mm or 2.5" cartridges. You can read about destructive testing of doubles in the double gun journal

not really. The issue is moreso case length as these older guns are mostly cut for 60mm or 2.5" cartridges. You can read about destructive testing of doubles in the double gun journal
I Have, and been involved with double barrel shot guns (and rifles) for over 50 years. Chamber length is just one aspect and important too. Barrel pitting would be foremost in my mind as the bores on guns that have rust and pitting on the outside, or have been neglected can easily obscure pitting inside the barrels, especially pitting about 14 inches from the chamber..which is just about where your hand is when a smokeless powder load reaches maximum pressure.

What do the firing pins on the inside look like? This would’ve been made for the New (at the time) Paper shells , right?
Yes this was made for paper shells of the time. It’s Armory Steel, not Damascus. As for its safety, I’ve taken it to a gunsmith who tested it and assured me that as long as I use things like game loads in a paper shell, it should continue to hold up. However, he did also state that it’s not something he would suggest shooting often.

. However, he did also state that it’s not something he would suggest shooting often.
I would like to understand his thinking on this. A gun that is shot often will eventually shoot loose assuming the gun is closed properly rather than slamming it closed cowboy style. It can easily be repaired * and put back on face.

A pitted barrel however, when it fails, is another matter.

*by a properly trained smith. There is only one smith in Georgia I know of with the skill to do this: that would be Bill Schwartz in Blue Ridge.

Back
Top Bottom