• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Item Relisted! FT Winchester Super X model 1

GaTxline

Default rank <200 posts
Hunter
Reaction score
Item has been relisted, you can find the new listing at: https://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/threads/ft-winchester-super-x-model-1.1349496/
Item Name: FT Winchester Super X model 1

Zip Code: 30107

Item is for: Trade Only
Trade Value or Items Looking For: Over Under 12 ga.

Caliber: 12 ga.

Willing to Ship: No

Bill of Sale Required?: No

Item Description: Im looking to get into skeet/trap shooting. I have a very nice Winchester Super X model 1, 12ga. The barrel is a fixed full choke. I'm needing a over under with screw in chokes, but will look at fixed barrel chokes. I'm not interested in any chineses made guns, but I don't need a gun that I would be afraid to scratch. With that said, I bought this Winchester in 1996 for dove hunting. It's a great gun, just not for skeet. If you are interested, I will send some pictures your way.

I am a firm believer in the Winchester SX1. I own 6 of them. 4 have 28'' mod choke barrels, one is a 28'' full choke and one is a 28'' with Briley screw in chokes (it was a full)
In my opinion, and I have owned a dozen or so O/U's in the past 10 to 15 years, and still own a couple Brownings. I prefer the SX1.

So, I ask. Is there a particular reason you are wanting the O/U instead ? Is it the fixed choke on the SX or is there other reasons ?

If it's just the choke. Briley can install chokes in it for you for $219 and includes 3 chokes.
http://www.briley.com/c-407-choke-installation-pricing.aspx
Briley.jpg

I absolutely love my SX, I have wrestled with this for a few years. I get the itch, then I don't shoot for a while, then I get the itch again. I shot for the first time in two years and forgot what it was like to shoot at a class A range. I'm not the one to fallow trends, but I do like the O/U for clays. I have not put any thought to having my barrel modified. I guess I would rather leave the gun the way it was intended and move on to a O/U. This might be the way to go.

I understand completely. You can also buy a "skeet" barrel for your SX1. They are usually expensive and kinda hard to find. But they are out there.

As for an O/U. I'd suggest a nice used Browning or Beretta. Having shot just about every brand from Stogher to Kreigoff, and everything in between. The Browning and Beretta's are the best bang for your buck. As you stated, stay away from the cheaper o/u's. They are not worth your time or money.

Good luck to ya, which ever way you decide to go.

PS, what are you valuing your SX at ?

Thank you for all the info. I might rethink this trade thang and start looking for another barrel. At the rate I'm going, after shooting Sunday, I have about two years to find one. As far as the value, from what I have seen, the value is all over the place. My gun is not perfect, because I shoot my guns, but it has not been abused or shot out. I hate to sell a gun, but if someone has something that may or may not be equivalent, I love to trade. Sometimes it works out for me, sometimes for them. I saw one that was in spectacular shape for $875.00 but I'm sure they sat on that one for s while. I saw another for $400.00 that was pitted and looked like it was a truck gun. I guess it all depends on who you ask, and if they are a buyer or a seller. Thanks again.

Always wanted SX1. I have SX2 and would not get rid of it for anything.

The SX 1 and SX 2 only have one thing in common. And that is they are both a semi auto shotgun. Thats where the similarities end. The SX2 is more a copy of a Browning Gold. Still a very good shotgun. But it's no SX 1.

You have one of the finest trap guns ever made. It would be shame to sell it for a modern POS.

If you insist on selling it, you should try trapshooters.com There are guys there who will trade their wife (and mistress) for one of these in good conditions. Over there the fixed full choke is the big plus -- trapshooters believe in fixed chokes. You might be able to work out a barrel swap and keep the gun. Also you will get a better picture of current market prices (nothing against ODT, you just have to know your market).

Whatever you do, don't thread this barrel.

There are some stainless steel aftermarket parts that will make this gun last forever

Back
Top Bottom