• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Just ordered my first Esee. How to maintain the blade?

I have a few ESEE knives and have been using frog lube paste on the uncoated parts of the blade (i.e. the laser etching and the sharpened edge). No rust to speak of yet. I reapply after they've seen some heavy use or after sharpening. I think most any light oil would probably be fine for preventing rust, but will likely have to be applied more frequently than some sort of paste.

Of course, I also etched the logo on my Izula and then used some Birchwood Casey Permablue to treat the steel.

Edit to add: I almost forgot- http://www.jungletraining.com/ There's a great discussion board/forum over there.

Keep it nice and sharp! It's easy to do! Simply "DONT LeT IT GET DULL!" Everytime I use a knife, whether it be for opening a box or cutting a tree limb, I always go home and strop it at the end of the day. Stropping will help unless the blade was used really heavily and then you'll need to bring the edge back more than likely. Carbon steel is pretty tough and might take a while to bring the edge back. My strop consists of an old belt with Mothers metal polish(there are better ideas but, there are also less useful). Stropping will keep that nice edge polished up. Letting it get dull just takes a lot more time to get it back.

Think of it like your firearms. When you shoot em, you wanna go clean em and keep em nice and clean so, they stay more functional.

The only other maintenance I use is Remoil. I spray and wipe immediately to remove grime and then spray and leave for about and hour and then wipe the excess off. If it's a folder, I also squirt a dab down in the pivot area between the scales, with the blade closed, then open 90degrees and then fully locked. Just keeps the washers etc. nice and lubed and assured smoother opening.

For my higher end blades(which seem to be deminishing, lol), I froglube them so, I never have to do anything except wipe with a lint free rag(cut up old white t-shirts work great. Also good for gun rags)
tapatalk.imageshack.com_v2_14_09_19_6c3a3a2428d30740a156e486c1a05991.jpg

My strop

tapatalk.imageshack.com_v2_14_09_19_55321f6230be75aa46a7eee01e09a599.jpg

Rubbing compound(good brand if you like the mirrored/polished look)

Great info, thanks a lot!

It is really not a lot of work.
Most of the time, I leave my blades completely dry.

Dry lubes are great, but i prefer cooking oil because I use my knives for food prep.
One drop swiped on the blade....done!

If you want to step up from sharp to amazing, get a strop from Flexxx Strops.
I also have a DMT set. It gets almost as fine as a strop, and flattens out nicks and burs before stropping.
The results are fantastic.

[video=youtube_share;uY_VhEFT33c]http://youtu.be/uY_VhEFT33c[/video]

Last edited:
I use a leather belt and green jewelers rouge to strop my knives. If I'm out of town or can't strop them. I use my car window to hone the blade. Great way to keep a knife sharp in a survival situation.

How do you like the candiru? I bought one to try it out and my wife liked it so much she took it . Now it's got purple g10 scales and It looks like a princess fairy wand. Doubt I'll ever get to use it, nor would I want to. Might get glitter, or some **** all over me.

It is really not a lot of work.
Most of the time, I leave my blades completely dry.

Dry lubes are great, but i prefer cooking oil because I use my knives for food prep.
One drop swiped on the blade....done!

If you want to step up from sharp to amazing, get a strop from Flexxx Strops.
I also have a DMT set. It gets almost as fine as a strop, and flattens out nicks and burs before stropping.
The results are fantastic.

[video=youtube_share;uY_VhEFT33c]http://youtu.be/uY_VhEFT33c[/video]

You can still use froglube even for cooking knives! All the ingredients are biodegradable and safe. There are videos of the creator/owner eating it....now, I wouldn't do that because im sure it tastes like ****, lol.

You can still use froglube even for cooking knives! All the ingredients are biodegradable and safe. There are videos of the creator/owner eating it....now, I wouldn't do that because im sure it tastes like ****, lol.
Doesn't taste too bad honestly. Curiosity got the best of me.

Back
Top Bottom