K9 info

Robnotfromga

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
8   0
Reaction score
There is a GSD for sale here and the seller is totally lacking some important info for his asking price, I've gotten a ton of pm so I'd figured I'd not muddy up the guys thread and start this.

These are my opinions, but I've bred, trained and handled working dogs for 10+ years. I'm not a hot shot pro, I love animals, I love a working dog that has so much trust and loyalty to its handler it will dive through a grenade blast for a tennis ball reward.

There's been several posts with people selling dogs for $1000-$1500-$2000+, but no info to back it up. Other than the "dog is social "...wow! No kidding? Unless its a puppy from a proven breeder and the parents are solid and done "something", its a freaking rip off!

In the working dog community puppies work as soon as they eat solid food. 99% of my experience is patrol work. All work is presented as a game to the dog, that way he loves to do it and wants to work. Puppies are taught with rags to build prey drive. They love to bite and chew and a old rag dancing around tied to a string is the bees knees. They are then taught to hold that rag and not drop it. Then as they grow, their teeth grow and their brains grow, they graduate to a puppy tug, then a basic Puppy sleeve and so on.

All those dogs are trained in obedience. From the start. They will learn to jump up on a slippery surface and sit. Stay, jump back up, jump through a curtain made of plastic bottles, maintain contact with prey or target while someone bounces their favorite ball or has treats. This is all around 6-8 months. You want a solid, stable, driven dog. Not "he's from good bloodlines and is crate trained, I want 2k for him". 2k will get you a 75% trained patrol dog. All day long.

Lots of good breeders and handlers will quickly determine if the dog is stable or not. Weak nerves, aggressive, stubborn. Those dogs wash out and aren't worked. Lots of times they are given away. That's when some butt hat tries to sell it to an unknowning person.

This is what a typical green, but base trained dog would look like. He's not mine, I just yanked it for an example. He s sorta a wash out, but the size doesn't matter and is actually a good thing in many cases.http://vanwijntuin.com/dogs-for-sale/amore/
He list what his dog can do and what its been trained for. Not it sits and doesn't **** in the crate. That dog could likely be had for 1200-1300, maybe less. I've seen guys get those types for 500-800 bucks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great info.

Thanks. Trying to help someone not buy a mistake and heartache.

Also remember, a working dog has high high HIGH drive. It doesn't just lay around on rainy days. It wants to go search, smell and bite something. With out a job its going to be a pain. This is every day for ever. Not when you wanna work him. Every day exercise and at least weekly work. Prepare for that.

www.fleischerheim.com check out this breeder with world class German bloodline. Look at puppy pricing most pups are sold 8 to 12 weeks old. Any body can buy a horse. Only a few can afford the Kentucky derby winner or its bloodline. You might want to consider that before you state what you believe is a total rip off. Not everybody can afford $8000 for untrained pup.

I have 2 of the shephard "wash outs" one from Sequoia working dogs and one from SOCOM in Tampa, right now. Got one for free and paid $500 for the 2nd. Just brought third one home from a shelter and fostered while pending adoption to a friend in FL and he paid $200. They are no front line hero patrol dogs, but they are smart, obedient and loyal pets. The foster I just spent 3 weeks with was a shelter nut case when we brought him home. After 2 baths, 3 nail clippings and 2 weeks he had sit, stay, come, shake, off, down, stay and was a calm happy pet that would suit just about any civilians needs.

My experience with these dogs is that their psychological deterrence effect is dramatic on people in general and especially bad guys. Even the mediocre shepherds have great protective instinct and will scare people off your front porch and keep bad guys at bay while out an about on a leash. Most dogs will really only rise to the level of "bluff dogs" anyway. Except as pointed out already "the cream of the crop".

Excellent advice above and great thread. Adopt a GSD that needs a good home they are out there, and will probably perform as well as the $1500, "Social" puppy.

www.fleischerheim.com check out this breeder with world class German bloodline. Look at puppy pricing most pups are sold 8 to 12 weeks old. Any body can buy a horse. Only a few can afford the Kentucky derby winner or its bloodline. You might want to consider that before you state what you believe is a total rip off. Not everybody can afford $8000 for untrained pup.

We have a 8 month old Mali washout in our club. She is social, great with kids and other dogs, she even submissively pees. Until she sees the decoy in the suit, then she goes nuts. I've personally had her drag my tail down. Slippery surfaces, loud noises, starting pistol, can curtain ...she's is totally on. She has no out. She will not out, she has to be torn or choked out. She was 75 bucks and out performs 99% of the high brow dogs.

I own and have owned champ bloodline dogs. Your showing your inexperience when you say the "Kentucky Derby equivalent dog " is the dog to have. Its just not true.

Anyone know of any working dog clubs here in North GA? I have to go all the way from Ellijay to Soddy Daisy TN and the 3 hrs. round trip sucks. Although my Shepherds get a lot out of it.

Back
Top Bottom