• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Knife sharpening

I hate ordering off the net is the reason for local.

Looking for one kinda low, 500 or less then probably another around 5000, dunno need to read on it more

Ok cool. As for the 500 and then 5000 that's a huge jump between grits. You might want to consider a 1000 or 1200 between them. For knives I personally only go to 1200, but that's just me.

Highland Woodworking sells water stones-- I bought several there, and have never looked back.

http://blog.woodworkingtooltips.com/contact-us/

"Near Gwinnett" is relative, but closer than the interweb...

You can learn a lot about knife sharpening from the woodworking geeks-- they have solutions for some interesting sharpening problems involving chisels, planes, and so forth.

Highland Woodworking sells water stones-- I bought several there, and have never looked back.

http://blog.woodworkingtooltips.com/contact-us/

"Near Gwinnett" is relative, but closer than the interweb...

You can learn a lot about knife sharpening from the woodworking geeks-- they have solutions for some interesting sharpening problems involving chisels, planes, and so forth.

damn I forgot all about them. That reminds me I need to get over there and pick out a Christmas present for me...LOL

Now why would I want to stay away from Norton? from what i read on the net they're supposed to be pretty good. What grits do you wall recommend? I just got an ESEE-5 and i'm wanting to put a convex edge on it

Nortons are fine and a good value. There are lots of options in water stones. I have used the Nortons but prefer the Naniwa stones they cut faster and have more feedback, at least for me. Chosera's, king bear, and all the others will do a fine job. I have gotten a very comfortable shave with just 1K grit. As for grits once you get to about 5K you get more polishing than anything. I will give you my grits for razors. I have a 220 for fast removal of a lot of material, 1K for setting the bevel, 5k to start polishing, then 8k, 12k and then I start with the stropping. As for a convex I can't help. But my personal feeling is the most important thing is practice, and don't proactive with your nice new ESEE. Just my thoughts and experience. Hope it's helpful.

Back
Top Bottom