• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Kool-aid?

jcountry

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
13   0
Reaction score
I have some dirty brass that sat out in the rain and got all tarnished.

I hear that (sugar free) cool aid and a good soak in hot water works great.

Anyone tried it? Will critic acid harm the brass?

I hear it is good to get some of the tarnish loosened up before tumbling.

I may give it a shot. This brass is gonna get thrown away otherwise.

I hear it is good to get some of the tarnish loosened up before tumbling.

I may give it a shot. This brass is gonna get thrown away otherwise.

Don't toss it......deprime it and send it to me and I'll put it thru the stainless steel tumbler and it'll look brand spanking new. I got to get a new motor for the tumbler but that should happen this weekend I'm hoping.

I had a huge pile of brass that I picked up after a rainy period. I threw it in a 5 gallon bucket with some degreaser and water for a day or so to loosen up the mud, then I added about an ounce of lemon juice to a couple of gallons of water for the next step. After a short soak period, maybe 30 minutes, it brightened them up a lot. Citric acid works very well!

You or your wife are at the grocery store almost every day. Stop in the caning supply aisle and pick up a product called fruit fresh. It's used to keep cut fruit from browning. It's citric acid.

41088T82RQL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I finally got around to the Kool Aid challenge.

I used it as a pre-treatment to remove all the tarnish from shells that had been sitting outside waaaaay too long.

I used a bucket with a gallon or so of warm water with some sugar free Kool Aid. Let it soak for about 20 to 30 mins and rinsed a few times with clean water.

Some of the more tarnished pieces came out with a pinkish patina after the Kool Aid challenge-so I thought I may have some troubles getting them totally clean. NOPE! I threw them in the tumbler for a few hours, and they ALL came out looking 100% brand new! Kool Aid works great as a way to get rid of that tarnish-and followed by a little tumbling will not only save some rough looking brass-but will have it looking 100% brand new.

-Very impressed!

koolaid-good.png

Back
Top Bottom