Laws for Ammo and Long Guns in other States

Gigabyte71

Default rank <4000 posts
ODT Junkie!
21   0
Reaction score
We will be traveling to Florida in the next few weeks, and I was planning on carrying a few guns with me. I know some of the communist States up North don't even allow you to posses ammo without a license. How do you find out about laws like that for other States? Even things like OC or CC. Yes, I have a GWL, and know that we reciprocate with Florida.

I travel to JAX all the time with CCW and long guns in the summer months. Keep your long guns in cases in the back of your vehicle and you'll likely have no issues. DO NOT EVER "print" your CCW, EVER! Do not OC, do not 'present' or 'point' your weapon at someone that you are not in the act of shooting because your life is in imminent and provable jeopardy.

DO NOT EVER "print" your CCW, EVER! Do not OC, do not 'present' or 'point' your weapon at someone that you are not in the act of shooting because your life is in imminent and provable jeopardy.

That was a bit exaggerated, but correct, OC = JSO will approach you in an, ahem, 'aggressive' manner and you spend the night (or more) at 501 E Bay St. Also, JSO never bothered me for printing. Source = Jax native of 31 years + FL LEO certified until 2007.

I carry my defensive pistol on my person, fully concealed, in Florida when I travel there.
I usually brush up on the carry laws and off-limits locations before I head out.
I check out that info on sites like the NRA and Handgunlaw.us.
Recently I bought a booklet called the Traveler's Guide to the Firearms Laws of all 50 States. It's advertised in the back of the NRA's official magazines. All I can remember about FL for Georgia people like myself with a GWL and reciprocity are:

1-- no open carry.
2-- stay out of bars and out of the "bar area" of restaurants that have a bar within them, like Applebees and Chilis and Red Lobster
3-- stay off school and college campus property.
4-- don't get your gun wet with salty ocean water! (that's a law of physics, not a statutory law !!!)
There may be more important things to know. Do your own research. Don't trust my memory.

I was just wanting to have my mini 30 with me in case society collapses. Florida is a long way from home to have to make it back with only a handgun.

http://flsenate.gov/Laws/Statutes/2013/790.25

(5)&#8195;POSSESSION IN PRIVATE CONVEYANCE.-Notwithstanding subsection (2), it is lawful and is not a violation of s. 790.01 for a person 18 years of age or older to possess a concealed firearm or other weapon for self-defense or other lawful purpose within the interior of a private conveyance, without a license, if the firearm or other weapon is securely encased or is otherwise not readily accessible for immediate use. Nothing herein contained prohibits the carrying of a legal firearm other than a handgun anywhere in a private conveyance when such firearm is being carried for a lawful use. Nothing herein contained shall be construed to authorize the carrying of a concealed firearm or other weapon on the person. This subsection shall be liberally construed in favor of the lawful use, ownership, and possession of firearms and other weapons, including lawful self-defense as provided in s. 776.012.

I'll be heading down there next week as well. I always carry a pistol with me, but the braced AK pistol might be coming along with me as well. Call me paranoid, but I always get a little nervous around 9/11.

http://flsenate.gov/Laws/Statutes/2013/790.25

(5)&#8195;POSSESSION IN PRIVATE CONVEYANCE.-Notwithstanding subsection (2), it is lawful and is not a violation of s. 790.01 for a person 18 years of age or older to possess a concealed firearm or other weapon for self-defense or other lawful purpose within the interior of a private conveyance, without a license, if the firearm or other weapon is securely encased or is otherwise not readily accessible for immediate use. Nothing herein contained prohibits the carrying of a legal firearm other than a handgun anywhere in a private conveyance when such firearm is being carried for a lawful use. Nothing herein contained shall be construed to authorize the carrying of a concealed firearm or other weapon on the person. This subsection shall be liberally construed in favor of the lawful use, ownership, and possession of firearms and other weapons, including lawful self-defense as provided in s. 776.012.

Thanks, that is what I needed.

Back
Top Bottom