• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Lead casting questions

FamDoc2892

Default rank <3500 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
235   0
Reaction score
For you experienced casters, what are the advantages of the tumble lube? Does it take a different mould? What alternatives are there?

Also wonder if it's a good idea to dip lead for casting versus buying a pouring pot. Not looking forward to buying a pot, unless I can find a good used one. What are your thoughts?

There are some lead shooters here with a whole lot more of experience than myself but I offer a feeble bit of knowledge. I watched an old timer take the cardboard from a case of drinks and use it as his tray that he would tumble lube his own cast bullets. It was simple, inexpensive and worked. There are specific molds for tumble type lube but I think you may tumble lube traditional bullets with a single lube channel.

I hope it helps.

I don't Cast Boolits myself but I do reload. The Moly Coated I've used in my .45acp and my .44mag/spl suck. I'll never use Moly coated again, a real pain in the butt to clean after a day at the Range. The Tumble Lubed Alox boolits that I've used have worked very well, also the standard lubed. Most of the tumble lubed Alox boolits have more lube rings on them.
As mentioned in the Post above, there are several members on here that Cast, that could probably give you more information on the Boolit design and lube grooves than me.
Also if you don't get answers here then check out the guys on http://castboolits.gunloads.com/ they've helped me out several times.

Last edited:
Tumble lube requires less investment in sizing and lubing equipment. It's faster to apply. Performance is good once you get the hang of how much you need, although I find it doesn't do to well with loads that are pressing the limit for what you can do with cast lead, e.g., high pressure/high velocity stuff. It can be applied to any style bullet, not just the ones that Lee designs for use with tumble lube. Tumble lubing is a very good way to start with casting. Once you gain experience, you'll be better able to make up your mind about whether or not to invest in a dedicated lubing/sizing press and appropriate sizing dies.

For someone who is heavily into casting, it's just one more tool in the arsenal. I generally lube my bullets with a RCBS lube/sizer press, but will sometimes use tumble lube for small runs when I don't want to deal with press setup issues, and I am unconcerned about how the tumble lube will perform (mild loads).

Tumble lubing offers the advantage of buying a mold and a Lee sizing kit (Alox lube and sizing die and container) and getting started without having to buy a Lyman/RCBS sizer and the associated dies and top punches and lube sticks. I have both a Lyman (2 actually 45 and 4500) and several of the Lee sizing kits with Alox. I only own 3 of the tumble lube molds. 2 are Ranch Dog molds and one is a .314 SWC for the .32 Caliber. I like to tumble all my bullets, even the ones that have already been lubed with my Lyman lube sizers. I think the extra little bit of Alox is a bonus.

I like to tumble all my bullets, even the ones that have already been lubed with my Lyman lube sizers. I think the extra little bit of Alox is a bonus.

That's a lot of extra work. Are you getting leading with your normal lube?

not to threadjack but I'm going to be in the market for sizer/lubricator..

I have always been happy with my RCBS products and am leaning towards that one for the sizer. Any suggestions on if either is nicer/better or good deals online or locally for either one?

I've still got some reading to do, but sounds like I'm going to have to size my bullets either way. If I understand, the Lee kit sizes but doesn't lube, and the Lyman or RCBS units size and lube at the same time. Back to the convenience vs. cost question!

Back
Top Bottom