leaving camper at hunt camp "what food"

Tgene

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
10   1
Reaction score
Yes, it took half the season but now the camper is ready to go to the hunt club. So, I ask all you guys with experience. What foods are safe to leave in the camper for a week- with me not comming back to find a family of racoons living in the camper ? I will be taking the camper to the hunt land Monday and going home Wednesday or Thursday. I may not be back til the following Tuesday.
Another day gone. O.K., what container will the critters not smell thru, so I can leave snacks and marsh mellows, tea and oatmeal ?

Last edited:
Really depends on how secure and tight your camper is.
I leave canned/jarred foods, bags of chips, instant grits/oatmeal, coffee, etc... in mine.
If it will be plugged into "shore power" and has a fridge, then you can leave perishables there too.

thanks jetmech, didn't think to say, no electric- this is a very old camper -not very tight,- just incase it gets cold enough to freeze, I will leave the water jugs outside. I guess I could put some items in a storage tub with a heavy weight on the lid. Hay this is my first camper and didnot cost a lot...

can't you just take all you food with you when you go back up there????thats what we use to do--if your going to be there 4 days take 4 days of food and 6 days of beer

I have an old truck tool box at my camp. I scewed legs on it to get it off the ground. I leave Ramen noodles, flour, chips, rice, ect. It is waterproof and secure from varmints. I sprayed all around the base to keep it insect free. It has worked great this season.

Get a galvanized metal trashcan with a lid. Varmints and rodents can and will go through plastic like it aint even there if they smell something they want. Their noses are very very good. Galvanized cans give you plenty of varmint secure storage space at a bargain price.

I highly recommend bringing with you whatever you want. Don't leave it down there. We used to go to a hunt cabin that was similar to what you describe. Basic shelter with no guarantees of decent weather stripping. We had a box with all our food in it. Brought it and took it with us.

Considering all the cool locking boxes available now, I recommend just having a box, packing it a few days beforehand then just throwing it in the back next to the cooler. If you are like me, you'll forget what you've got down there anyway.

thanks LR MAX, I was about to think this to be a dead thread. Everyone has made good points of thought. I'm thinking about all of it. thanks to all.

Back
Top Bottom