• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Lee Auto Disk Powder Measure

poolecw

Default rank <300 posts
Tracker
7   0
Reaction score
I am new to reloading and just loaded my first 50 rounds this week. I am using the Lee Turret press with auto prime and auto disk power measure. I'm using Bullseye powder to load .45acp rounds. The issue that I'm having is that the auto disk powder measure doesn't seem to be throwing the correct charge. It seems light. I'm using both an electronic scale and a manual scale to verify. For instance, the .53 cavity is supposed to throw 5.0 grains. However it consistently throws only 4.7 grains. And the .57 cavity supposes to throw 5.4 grains but is only throwing 5.0 grains.

Has anyone else run into this issue? Any tips or tricks to try?

Thanks.

It's normal for many powders to come in .2g or so low to the supplied chart. I own several of these measures that I leave set up for my most common calibers.

These are great handgun measures, but like most things today they're going to be conservative.

Auto disk has alway's thrown less for me than listed by Lee. The key word you said is Consistency. I typically just choose one size up and throw a through to see if the weight fits in the right range.

I'm with these guys. Find the disk that gets you closest to your desired weight and go with it. They don't match the charts but the chart gives you a starting point. I started using the adjustable charge bar on my turret press. You have to play around until you get the right charge but I like it better than changing disks and it gives you more flexibility.

I'm with these guys. Find the disk that gets you closest to your desired weight and go with it. They don't match the charts but the chart gives you a starting point. I started using the adjustable charge bar on my turret press. You have to play around until you get the right charge but I like it better than changing disks and it gives you more flexibility.

If you enjoy tweaking or want an exact load the adjustable charge bar works as well as the disk for me.

For the money, or even twice the price the Pro Auto Disk measure and its accessories are true bargains. A consistent hand on the lever will help yield very accurate charges.

I love my LEE Classic Cast Turret press and the Auto disk. Order your self a few sets of the disk and you can drill them out a few thousands, then run them with your favorite powders and see what weights you get. I've read of many folks doing this to tweak or fine tune for a specific load that you tend to load a lot of. Make sure to mark these drilled out disk with paint or what ever works for you so not to get them mixed up with the factory ones.

Ditto on all of the above (I own three of them! AND Love their consistency)
If you just have to have a specific weight, you can either coat the "too big" hole with
one or more coats of red nail polish (to make it smaller) or ream out the "too small" hole.
Just remember to mark the disk so that you'll know what it is!

BTW: I need a slightly larger hole than their largest sized (even with stacking). This for a .308 loading.
I reamed, polished and coated a new (larger) hole and got the exact charge I wanted.
If you happen to ream a hole out ... shim it with thick paper "glued" into the hole with
nail polish. A good dusting with graphite keeps the flow consistent, even the reamed ones.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom