Lee clasic turret & 30-06?

rdnktrkr

Default rank <50 posts
Outdoorsman
0   0
Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting into reloading and was looking at the Lee classic turret press kit "90304". My question is I was wanting to reload 380,38 spec,40,44mag.,45,223,308,30-30,35win, & 30-06, the Lee site list the press as being capable of loading cartridges with an overall length of 3.313" or less and the overall length of a 30-06 is 3.34", Do I need to look into something else?

Start out with a quality single stage or turret from, Rcbs, Hornady, Redding. Especially if you are going to prime on the press. Stay away from Lee die sets for any precision work, they are fine for pistol/ blasting. I would reccomend getting a kit from one of those manufactures to get going with.

30-06 NO, it's too long. I attempted a .270 Winchester (same basic cartridge, same length as 30-06) and it will not fit.

The longest cartridge that I have personally gotten to fit in the Lee Classic Turret is .308 (and it just did!)

The other problem with the Classic Turret Kit is that the Lee Auto-Disk Powder Measure isn't designed to throw the loads used in most rifle cartridges.
You would have to use their other powder measure .... for most rifle loads.

As for .223, some .308's, and all of your pistol loads: the Lee Classic Turret is what I changed over to and use regularly.
This, after many, many years of using a single-stage press.

I still have a single-stage C-press that I use almost exclusively for the (usually low volume) rifle cartridge loadings.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom