• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Lee Load Master

BAR64

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
6   0
Reaction score
Considering purchasing one. I currently load on a single-stage Lee. Been advised that much tinkering and frustration awaits me with the load master. I've seen lots of vids and read reviews that seem to indicate the Lee is a good press once a good setup is achieved, but would like to hear from anyone here with input on this specific press.

Please don't reply with what your preference of press is, I'm very aware of whats out there and what they all cost. I'm looking for useful information on this model only, and what you may have done to make it the best it can be for your setups. Or if you tried it and had problems, what specifically were the problems?

Thanks!
BAR64

I have one and like it ok. If you are not mechanically inclined stay away from it though. It took it a while to get there but mine runs pretty good. I initially had problems with indexing and shell feeding, Both were worked out by watching some of the videos I found on line. Overall it's a good press but seems to be much higher "maintinence" than some other options. If I was starting over again I think I would start with another choice just so I could spend less time tinkering and more time loading.

If you are going to load the same caliber all the time it will be OK. If you are going to switch back and forth don't do it. Spend the $ and get a Dillon. I had a lee and now have a D 550.

Thanks for the replies - I do need to load multiple calibers, but I don't usually change calibers in a single loading session - does the whole setup need to be re-tweaked after every caliber change in order to work reliably?

A D550 is hard to justify for me right now, but they are very nice.

The Loadmaster or any other progressive ain't for me. The tweaking is a necessary evil, but if you set up and load mostly one load you mainly just have to watch closely.

When I used them, I kept complete carriers setup instead of changing shell plates. It made caliber change over much quicker for me.

Many people that have trouble with the Lee products are beginners and bought strictly on price. Since you know the basics and know they all have a learning curve, you'll likely be fine.

The good thing about the Lee brand, if you want you can simplify by adding another press.

Maybe get a progressive for your long run high volume calibers and a Lee Turret for the lower volume calibers. Remember that your current press will still be available too.

I started out with a Lee single stage, and recently got a LoadMaster. I only load .40 S&W on the loadmaster, and it has been fine.

I watched several tutorial videos on youtube to see how to set up my loadmaster, and once set up I haven't had to bother it anymore.

One piece of advice that I can give you is toss the link chain and get a length of string or a 6" bungee cord and use it instead. The cord is harder to get to the right length, but once set it will last longer and is more forgiving.

Back
Top Bottom