• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Let’s play the “What is it?” game!

Hints:

The owner was a famous (or infamous, depending on your viewpoint) lawman, with a very impressive tally of gunfights.

He authored a book about his experiences working LE, and in WWII.

The caliber that this gun is chambered in was designed to specifically take advantage of a loophole in what was the National Match Bullseye rules at the time. That loophole has long since been closed.

Well, the gun started as a Colt Woodsman,
I don't know about the rest.
Working on that now.

GOT IT -- This was CHarles Askins' gun, from the 1930s.
The caliber was a wildcat--- .221 Askins. A tiny centerfire, much like a .25 acp but with better accuracy.
The round was made from a .22 Velo-Dog revolver round.

The "loophole" was that the rules said "any centerfire round" which didn't give any minimum caliber or bullet size.
As soon as Askins got to winning with this gun, they changed the rules to say .32 caliber minimum, and centerfire.

The rear sight was moved forward, also, to better comply with the rules against having a rear sight mounted to the rear of the gun's hammer (even an internal hammer).

But I still don't know what that tube is doing under the barrel.
The vent rib is from Pachmayr-- they did more than just rubberized handgun grips, back in the day.
But that tube-- is that just a barrel weight?
Surely the gun wasn't modified to use a tubular magazine instead of the standard box magazine in the gun's grip frame, wuzzit???

I believe it’s an underbarrel weight.

You got it. Pretty interesting history. “Unrepentant Sinner”, Askins’ autobiography, is very interesting reading.

You’re up.

BE004E07-B40F-4A7B-8FAD-497A5A851A07.jpeg

Yeah, it's ugly, but it will keep those
pesky squirrels off your bird feeder.

Soviet prototype 7.62x39mm. Afanasiev TKB-011.

Buddy of mine toured the Tula Arms Museum several years ago and sent me a pic of that one. I believe the one in the museum is the only one in existence.

Correct. A few different models of bullpup rifles that were AK-47 looking all came out (prototypes) in the years 1963-1965.
This TKB-011 is one of them.

If this gun ever ends up on the "rental gun wall" at my local range, I'd pay $10 to put some rounds thru it.

Your Turn !

B.U.M.P.

View attachment 4074436

A bit of trivia:

The hand-gun shown above once got a kid expelled from school for violating the zero tolerance weapons policy.
I think the middle finger should have been the barrel, but that is a Lack of Common Sense 2000 Pocket Pistol
The middle finger model has been known to drive promiscuous females into epileptic type, squirting seisures

Back
Top Bottom