Blunt & Syms​

Ring Trigger

Saw Handle

Pepperbox

Percussion Revolver.

That Sir, would be correct.

11.JPG

While I'm thinking up a new challenge,
this "pepperbox" gun reinforces my idea of a multi-caliber revolver to appeal to survivalists who may find themselves on the road and away from the bunker's ammo stash, scrounging for ammo along the way.
Here's the idea in a nutshell:

Make a big frame, but small grip and trigger-reach gun. A modern DA/SA revolver that holds 6 rounds in a cylinder.

The cylinder would be extra long, like a pepperbox, so each chamber of the cylinder acts as its own bore. The gun itself would have a fake bore, extra wide, in front of the cylinder, but it would serve only as a flash hider / bloop tube. The overbore barrel would also increase sight radius for better aiming. But it would not add any velocity. The bullet would stop getting its push as soon as the base of the projectile leaves the cylinder. The bullet would pass thru the "fixed barrel" without actually touching the bore of it (smoothbore, it would be, though the cylinder chamber sleeves could be rifled).

Make the cylinder with extra-large chambers, made even wider than the biggest cartridge you think anybody would want to use in the gun (within the width limit imposed by the size of the cylinder and the need to keep enough metal in between each chamber to hold the pressure). BUT, THIS CYLINDER WOULD NOT DIRECTLY HOLD ANY AMMO.. instead, it must ALWAYS BE USED WITH a set of caliber-specific inserts. Chamber sleeves.

The chamber sleeves would have to be "rifled" for this firearm to meet the federal definition of a pistol (rather than short firearm what would be considered an A.O.W.)

If the cylinder itself were something like 5" long, that would give enough "bore" length to accelerate bullets to a decent speed.

BUT, YOU WILL ASK, what about THE HEAVY WEIGHT OF SUCH A LARGE CYLINDER?
Well, that could be handled by making the bare cylinder itself out of a lightweight alloy, but using real steel for the inserts / sleeves. Having an aluminum barrel with a steel barrel liner is not new; it's been done for decades.

If the rifling in the chamber inserts / sleeves makes them spin in the cylinder, and IF that were found to be detrimental to accuracy in testing of prototype guns, then the cylinder could have a couple of notches milled into it that would be engaged by corresponding flanges protruding from the insert sleeves, to prevent any rotation.

Imagine you could buy the revolver with one set of sleeves (say, .357 magnum) for $600, but for $100 more you get a set of six more sleeves in .410- 3" shell and .45 Colt, another set of six just for .45 ACP (since it's a rimless cartridge it can't use the exact same chamber as the rimmed .45 LC), a set of 9mm sleeves, too. (Extraction is probably something that could be done without the use of moon clips, if you're willing to knock out the empties from your sleeves /inserts after the shooting is over).

For training new shooters / women / kids, this revolver could use sleeves / inserts in mousefart calibers like .22 LR (the bore in each sleeve would be off-center, so the firing pin would only hit the rim of the case) or .380 ACP.

This thread isn't just about identifying guns, but things related to guns.
So let's try to ID a rifle cartridge.
Here's a line-up of smallish rifle rounds.
The one on the far left is a .223 or 5.56mm.
What are the next two in line, to the right of it?
(Those next 2, the orange polymer-tipped ones,
are the same cartridge, just two examples with different mfg. brass cases).

AR-wildcat-lin-up-5.56-6.5-pcc-6.5-grendel-6.8-SPC-300-AAC-7.62-x-40-and-30-AR.jpg

.224 Kritzeck - wildcat version of .223 Remington with a really short neck ; This one required some internet gymnastics to find looking through lots of wildcat rounds for ARs or of similar size to a 5.56 based round. I've never seen such a short neck on such a bottleneck case.

No, BUT it turns out the cartridges I've indicated are a wildcat caliber, developed about 10 years ago. It's not a standard factory round and I'm not seeing any references to factory made ammo for it-- either ammo that is currently offered for sale or historical references to this caliber once having been offered by somebody like Remington, Winchester, or Federal.

No, BUT it turns out the cartridges I've indicated are a wildcat caliber, developed about 10 years ago. It's not a standard factory round and I'm not seeing any references to factory made ammo for it-- either ammo that is currently offered for sale or historical references to this caliber once having been offered by somebody like Remington, Winchester, or Federal.
I would have guessed 300 savage but factory ammo has been made for it.

Back
Top Bottom