• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Leupold LTO

Allsmiles

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
166   0
Reaction score
Has anyone tried out one of these new thermal monocular? Everything we do hunting wise is under 200 yards and more like 50 yards so that makes it easier to think about. It looks like they are getting to the price point that it would be fun to try them out for hunting heavy cover and at night. For the same money, they look like a better designed unit than the FLIR one.

I looked through one in the store. Your ideal distance will be about 50 yards, and you'll be stretching it out to 100 yards. You'll basically see a heat signature blob. But if you still have the X-Sight, then you can use that for ID. Also thermal isn't going to help you much if they're behind cover - bushes, trees, tall grass. I think the LTO shines for finding your game after the shot.

Honestly I'd wait and see how things shake out this year. With the new Pulsar and Flir products, they are already better tech at lower prices than what they're replacing still on shelves. So that will continue to drive down the prices of older tech. This is going to be a good year for thermal.

Ok, I'll wait and see. I still have the X-Sight and also put a Vortex Hog Hunter on my LR308. Just looking at the new tech as the prices are about 1/3 of what they were a year ago.

MSRP on the new FLIR BOSON 12 micron Q-14B is supposed to be $1800 - $1900. And the new Pulsars start out around $2,500. Both of these are improved technologies and cheaper than their current products on the market. So it should definitely drive down the prices on their existing products and competitor's products also.

I'm going to pick up another thermal scope and most likely get the FLIR or Pulsar. Some of the new Pulsars also have onboard recording.

Back
Top Bottom