Light Loads in the 243 --

Status
Not open for further replies.

Default rank <3000 posts
ODT Junkie!
46   0
Reaction score
Hey, I have been messing around with Trail Boss -- a pistol powder that can be used for light rifle loads.

Tell me if the logic works for you:

I shot a four shot .766 inch group (center to center) into the bullseye at 100 yards. I was happy. I then shot four more into a 200 yard target. The 200 yd group was not so tight and averaged 8.5 inches lower than the group at 100 yards. Looking at the trajectory table for this bullet, I searched for a velocity that when zeroed at 100 would be 8.5 low at 200. The velocity was 2000FPS. This seems about right. I was hoping I might get closer to 2800FPS. I am wondering how close the estimate will be when the sun shines and allows my chrony to work.

These loads were really light and surprisingly accurate. I was using a 55 Grain Combined Technologies (Winchester and Nosler) Boat tail Spire Point with 15.1 grains of Trail Boss. Not a cheap bullet but one I don't want ripping the rifling out of my barrel at 4000FPS. A second cool thing that was not so obvious to me is the slower bullet seemed to exaggerate the left/right error of my scope--no wind today. It was shooting an inch right with factory 100 grain loads and about 3 inches right with the light loads. I zeroed it out and will see the next time I shoot factory stuff if the theory holds true.

16.0 Trail Boss fills the case up to the neck.

Side Note: the bullets were part of a trade -- virtually free of charge. I wouldn't have wasted my time or money otherwise, but it was fun.

Last edited:
Wind may be playing a part? But my first thought is stabilization? The slower speed may cause the short bullets to start losing stability at the 200 range? Pure speculation on my part? I'd be curious to know though? CD

There was no wind today at the range. I have a max power of 9X on my scope and I am challenged beyond 100 yards. So, the bigger group (6 inches) at 200 yards was not a surprise. But, it is hard to tell if it is all me or a stabilization issue. 200 is a long way for a spit ball to travel. I will try to get some chronograph data soon.

I checked the Hodgdon site and they are showing 1600fps with trail boss and a 100gr bullet. Even with a 55gr bullet 2800 sounds a little optimistic to me.
They have load data for a reduced .243 loading using H4895 that shows 2700frps (a little closer to your mark) with an 80gr pill but it's gonna use more powder at 28gr. You would probably have to bump up the charge of 4895 if the case would allow it to make up for a 55gr but it would probably send it smokin'. I have had good luck with bullet company and powder company ballistics techs in the past. You might check with them and see if they have the answers you're lookin for. Couldn't hurt.
Here's Hodgdons # 913-362-9455
Good luck

Quite a while back I was having trouble finding reduced loads for some big boppin magnums and Ramshot powder company was very helpful.

Last edited:
Ran them through the chronograph:

15.1 grains Trail Boss behind a 55 grain Combined Technologies Bullet in my Ruger Stainless 243 MKII yielded an average velocity of 2400FPS on this 57 degree day in Newnan, Ga. I only fired two shots: 2406, and 2393 FPS.

Different bullets, even at identical velocities aren't likely to have the same point of impact. The shape, weight, and other factors may change the p o i in any direction, sometimes dramatically.

Most Nosler Ballistic Tip bullets even when loaded at identical charge will shoot left or right of most Hornady and Sierra bullets I use? The little 55 bullet's likely running out of steam @ 200 yds. As any bullets velocity changes it can start to drift and even tumble. Your .243's likely putting a quick twist for such a small bullet? How it reacts at different velocities and distances would be interesting to know.

For me, this is one of the best aspects of handloading. If I have a good range, targets at multiple distances and chronograph, I'm in "hog heaven"

I never considered having to change my left and right adjustment, only the elevation. Now you have me wondering about the rotational force of the bullet -- and the rest of the universe. I have done a lot of pistol reloading and have never had to change the sights for left and right deviation.

Thanks again, for the info--

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom