• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Light primer strikes

Powerhouse

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
18   0
Reaction score
I have a Model 70 Winchester in .30-06 that is giving me fits. I bought it used here last year, and knew that it was well used when I got it. My son took it over and shot about 60 rounds through it over the summer. We scoped it and got it all fixed up for hunting season, everything was fine. Well the first deer that walked under him, light primer strike. I installed a new firing pin, firing pin spring and cocking piece thinking I've solved the problem. It worked for about 7 rounds then right back to the same thing.

Reckon what the problem could be? The old spring looked like it was weak, it was much shorter and softer than the replacement. The firing pin channel was cleaned out good, no old sludge or obstructions. My son did like the rifle but now doesn't trust it and is thinking of selling it, only I won't sell it if it doesn't work properly. Any ideas?

Try some different brands of ammo..some primers are harder then others. What appears to be a light strike could be a normal strike. It appears light because the round did not fire and slam back against the bolt, deepening the primer mark. Good luck.

CC

In order.
I haven't called Winchester, I'm not sure what they would do anyway. Like I said, if I can't make it work safely, I won't sell it.

The rounds are handloads and factory ammo, it's just odd the way it suddenly stopped firing both suddenly twice.

Yes Brian, I did check all of that out. When I took the bolt down to work on it I soaked it and scrubbed it out real good. I'm about to go check it out again for the ninth time.

Last edited:
I would check the firing pin channel very closely.

I had this same problem with a Ruger pistol once, and finally figured out that there was some grease (cosmoline) stuck in the channel which kept the firing pin from falling all the way.

Back
Top Bottom