• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Linux for you

NGIB

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
68   0
Reaction score
I have been puttering with Linux for many years, mainly because I get so sick of Microsoft telling me to buy a new computer every year just to run their latest OS. I can state with 100% assurance I will NEVER have a computer with Windows 8. Anyway, I test out a lot of the Linux systems (called distros) for the one that will allow me to leave Windows forever. Sadly, none exist as some programs that I have to use only run in Windows (Turbotax is one).

This being said, I use Linux for 99% of the things I do on a computer. All of my computers are dual boot with Windows 7 and Linux and I boot Linux 99% of the time. I use Chrome and Firefox as browsers, VLC to play videos - just like I did in Windows. The best part is my computer boots in less than 30 seconds each and every time.

I'll bet there are some ODT folks still running Windows XP as I recently read that 29% of computer users still do. Be aware that Microsoft no longer supports XP so future updates will not happen. If you're running XP, you likely are not running it on a computer that could run Windows 8 either. I've been using a new distro for the past week that I really like, called MX-14. It's small, fast, stable and just plain works. Here's their site so you can look it over:

http://www.mepiscommunity.org/mx

I've tested it on 5 different laptops ranging from a 6 year old clunker to a modern gaming machine and everything works out of the box. If you're tired of the Windows hassle, give Linux and MX-14 a look...

I have a win 7 / ubuntu 12 dual boot that I built a little while ago and I honestly really like ubuntu but ran into the same problem as you. Some of my programs I use on a regular basis arent offered for it. Still convenient though, oh and eff microsoft!

I did not see a thread about this topic and I figured it may help some folks with older computers. If all you do is surf the net, watch videos, listen to music, and exchange files - Linux will work great for you and it's FREE...

Linux FTW !

Tux.png

Rather than dual boot, can't you simply use VirtualBox to run Windows from Linux? Or us Wine to run the app, if it is supported?

Yup, always an option but not everything works perfectly all the time. For the average home computer user Linux will meet their needs by itself and it does breathe life into old outdated computers.

Last weekend I tested MX-14 on an old cranky Lenovo laptop I had sitting in a closet. The wireless was always flaky even running Windows but MX-14 worked perfectly and is now installed on that one...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom