Load test question (changing bullets)

BHJ

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
37   0
Reaction score

I finally got some range time to work with Alliant Power Pro 2000MR in my 10PC .308 today. After working up in .3 gr increments with the bullets touching the lands I found an accuracy node at 46gr (middle of the road load) using Lapua brass, Win Primers and 165gr Sierra Game King HPBTs that gave me a 5 shot one ragged hole that looked like 3 overlapping, a clover leaf at 100 yards. I'm wanting to try a couple of other bullets I have on hand in the same weight. (Accubonds, Ballistic tips, A max, Interlocks) Would it be effective to just stick with the 46gr charge weight and change bullets and see what happens or will I need to start over and do incremental charges with each bullet?

I finally got some range time to work with Alliant Power Pro 2000MR in my 10PC .308 today. After working up in .3 gr increments with the bullets touching the lands I found an accuracy node at 46gr (middle of the road load) using Lapua brass, Win Primers and 165gr Sierra Game King HPBTs that gave me a 5 shot one ragged hole that looked like 3 overlapping, a clover leaf at 100 yards. I'm wanting to try a couple of other bullets I have on hand in the same weight. (Accubonds, Ballistic tips, A max, Interlocks) Would it be effective to just stick with the 46gr charge weight and change bullets and see what happens or will I need to start over and do incremental charges with each bullet?
I usually drop down slightly but not completely start over. What kind of velocity were you getting? I think 46gr would be a safe charge but a couple of three shot groups over the chrono at slightly lesser charges wouldn't cost much to be on the safe side. Could be a waste of a few rounds but it's trigger time either way.

Don't have a chrony available. Just never have gotten around to buying one.
Brass looked really good and as the charge increased past 46gr they began to open up and then scatter up to the max listed load with the cases,primers still looking fine and no hard extraction. I have a couple loaded a little over the book max but ran out of time to see if there is another node on the hot side. The 2000MR really fills the case, meters well and I have read claims of some super high velocity numbers right at -06 velocity using it. Manufacturer makes some pretty bold claims too.
Without a doubt it was fast enough to kill a deer though and the accuracy was very good. I'm thinking I want to load some accubonds (my favorite hunting bullet) but I didn't want to shoot em up trying to find a decent guess at a sweet spot. I'm not worried about being overpressure in my rifle just swapping the SGK and AB on a middle of the road load, More just wanting opinions preferably based on experience on whether the 46gr will still be the sweet spot with a different bullet or two.

I would start over with each new bullet config. Some bullets are constructed diffrent than others and have the weight in different parts of the bullet. The one exception that I have found is with Match bullets. They tend to be very close in how they perform among manufacturers at the same grain weight of course. YMMV.

If the bullets are very close dimensionally I just run back up to it by shooting one each to check for pressure signs, then load there and test. I have had good luck switch bullets like that.

I admit, I am lazy. I would verify that there is not any load data that dissagrees with the powder charge of 46.0 and try the other bullets with that setup first. If they clover leaf again, i would call it done. However, if max accuracy is what you want, then go up and down from 46.0 and see what happens. .3 grains either side of 46 should tell the story.

Back
Top Bottom