• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Loading 38spl & 357 mag

sutton

Default rank <100 posts
Hunter
1   0
Reaction score
I am new to reloading and have a question about reloading 38 special and 357 mag. Can I use 38spl brass to reload 357 mag or would the pressures exceed the strength of the case (pretty sure it would)? Also if I used 357 mag brass to reload 38spl would it make the brass last longer? My theory is the 357 mag brass is tougher so it would last longer when using a less powerful charge as in the 38. But that's just my thinking! Any input from someone more experienced would be appreciated! Thanks!

-Sutton

if you load 38 brass to 357 levels it will split the cases , go by your reloading book and what it says, you can always use a minimum load with the 357 and your brass will last longer, one reason to reload is to save money, if you load every thing on the high end of the powder charge you save less, if all your doing is shooting targets it really don't matter if you use a milder load

The brass is not interchangeable, they are different sizes. You can Load the .38spl to +p though.

Read up, take some measurements on some of the stuff you are wanting to reload, and take your time. I poked and prodded my brass, projectiles and equipment for a few months familiarizing my self with the stuff before I loaded my first round.

As a beginning hand loader Please Please for your own sake just stick to published data.
Don't add more powder or less powder than the books say as both can be extremely dangerous.
Don't substitute bullet weights or types. doing so not only puts yourself in peril but those around you.
Be very wary of load data off the internet and double check it with published load data before you ever use it.
If you follow the rules hand loading is safe and enjoyable. If you pull a wild hair and do something screwy then somebody's gonna pay. Maybe not he first time everytime but eventually...
The mere suggestion you made of loading .38 to a .357 charge level makes me think you need to go back and read a good reloading manual from cover to cover except for the data, And maybe more than once.
Stay safe.

Aint tryin to start nothin, but as a hard headed beginner that always had to learn things the hard way I had a couple of ... shall we say "close calls" when straying off the beaten path and ignoring advice in my manual that didn't make sense to me... at the time.
Good luck stay safe

Last edited:
I would not load 38 brass to 357 loads to begin with. I'm probably only going to be loading 38 for my girlfriends Taurus revolver I gave her. She's doesn't crack five foot and is 90lbs soaking wet so I'm gonna let her stay with 38s. I was just covering all my bases with the question.

Back
Top Bottom