• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Longe range quality scope

Boy, for someone who professes NOT to be trying to come off as an "Alpha Hotel", you sure have a FUNNY way of doin' it...

Yes, I READ--and COMPREHEND--rather well...Can YOU say the same??? I wonder...

First, equating Millett's optics with Hyundai's automobiles is kinda' UNFAIR...Millett Scopes are probably one or two steps ABOVE Hyundai autos quality- and value-wise, IMHO...

Second, you OBVIOUSLY have NO IDEA what kinda' QUALITY went into the older, Japanese-made Nikon Scopes--They continue to IMPRESS me, whereas the ONLY European Optics that I've seen that were NOTICEABLY BETTER than the older, Japanese-made Nikons were higher-end Swarovski and Schmidt & Bender Scopes...certainly, NOTHING made by your vaunted "Nightfarce" compares, Optics-wise...as far as Zeiss goes, meh--Overpriced for what you get--in some cases, WAY overpriced...

Third, when is having MORE options--and CHOICES--a BAD idea???

I have a SUGGESTION--Since you were NOT the OP, why don't you and your "Good Buddy" Beavis go back to being "Video Game Commandos" and only comment on stuff you have some REAL experience with--WHEN your Mommy will let you use the Computer, that is....mikey357

you done did it now, Didn't you see the part when Charlie Sheen said "Never Talk about Mom"

As far as my experience let's take a look seeing that I am the shop Gear Whore:
1: I actually got a Millett TRS-1 in a rifle trade when I was stationed at a fictional place called Fort Bragg 4 years ago and compared to other scopes I have used/owned my comparison to a Hyundai was a complement.

2: Seeing that I actually WORK at a high end custom rifle shop and shoot 1000 yard Matches, I get to see just about every scope known to man come thru the door and one of the first things I do is take them OUTSIDE and compare them at various distances out PAST 1000 yards so in that aspect I can say I am very versed.

3: Options are never a bad idea (as Long as they make sense)

4: Video game commandos? Sorry but I went DOWN RANGE with the REAL ones from 2009-2010 and worked with them a whole lot longer. Got the T-shirts, coffee mugs and Bronze stars to prove it

As far as my Loyaties with Nightforce go, for the money they make a damn fine product and some of their employees are my friends but I am not sponsored by them nor employed by them so I can shoot what I WANT and have had great success with Nightforce. Is S&B better possibly but not $1000 better So I would rather take that money and buy ammo or pay for my entry fees into fictional matches like the Bushnell Brawl or Mammoth Cave or K&M etc.

Considering that the two folks you are talking to are employees of a high end scope company, and a custom rifle shop. I think they have a little experience in what they say. But what do I know, Mr Murphy knows nothing, nor Mr Nixon.

Not Jason, this is all Thomas and these views are mine and Not the shops.

Thomas knows how to shoot. He knows his optics too. He and I both ran Nightforce scopes at this year's Mammoth Cave Sniper Challenge and we placed 8th overall out of 66 teams. And a HUGE part of that was Thomas' spotting and wind calls using nothing but his Nightforce NXS.

So, yeah, the guy isn't a couch commando. 22+ years in the military and and active shooting schedule with EVERY kind of optic and rifle you can imagine (including some stuff from "special" customers most people will never see).

Questioning his knowledge... LOL. That really is funny.

Mark

Thomas knows how to shoot. He knows his optics too. He and I both ran Nightforce scopes at this year's Mammoth Cave Sniper Challenge and we placed 8th overall out of 66 teams. And a HUGE part of that was Thomas' spotting and wind calls using nothing but his Nightforce NXS.

So, yeah, the guy isn't a couch commando. 22+ years in the military and and active shooting schedule with EVERY kind of optic and rifle you can imagine (including some stuff from "special" customers most people will never see).

Questioning his knowledge... LOL. That really is funny.

Mark

...But have ANY of you "High Speed, Low Drag 'Tacticool' GI JOE'S" EVER USED an older, Japanese-made Nikon Tactical Scope??? If not, don't DISMISS them out of hand--I've probably spent SEVERAL year's pay on EQUIPMENT in the last 35 or 40 years, so MY OPINION is WELL EARNED TOO...How's THAT sound???....mikey357

Last edited:
I opened this post a couple of times thinking I was actually going to learn something about long range optics, too bad its become who has the longest dong contest. I PM'ed my comments to the OP.

KBD431,
I am sorry on how this has turned out. It's threads like this that make true professionals not want to come to forums like this and offer advice. because we post based upon our experiences and not just opinions and get shot down. A three gun Grand Master, the owner of one of the top precision rifle builders in the country, and a 22 year combat vet that Lives Long Distance shooting have all been told we are idiots and don't know anything about the optics that are available in TODAY's market. My first post was recommendations on what I feel are the best bang for the buck at various price points for 600-1000 yard shooting. A prime example on my thoughts could be today when I took seven different precision rifles (from $3000+ to unobtainium to the civilian market) to the range to shoot groups prior to them going to their new owners. I used one Schmidt and Bender, 1 Nightforce ATACR, 3 other NXS and one Vortex PST all on the same day, same conditions and on some cases even on the same guns. The S&B was nice but once again it wasn't $1000+ better than the ATACR. The NFs had a definite advantage over the PST, but for the average person the PST would suffice.

for an unbiased opinion here is a link on what the Pros use for long range shooting in tactical Matches. S&B will be on top because of their First Focal Plane ability but with the fielding of the BEAST, NF should move up.
http://precisionrifleblog.com/2013/09/11/best-long-range-scopes-what-the-pros-use/

For Benchrest style here is a link from 6mmbr with what they recommend:http://www.6mmbr.com/optics.html

...But have ANY of you "High Speed, Low Drag 'Tacticool' GI JOE'S" EVER USED an older, Japanese-made Nikon Tactical Scope??? If not, don't DISMISS them out of hand--I've probably spent SEVERAL year's pay on EQUIPMENT in the last 35 or 40 years, so MY OPINION is WELL EARNED TOO...How's THAT sound???....mikey357

If you are talking about the Monarch X tactical scopes from around 2005 to a couple of years ago- yes I have used them. Even had a 2.5-10x44 on my hunting rifle Until I switched it with a Zeiss HD5 3-15.

Back
Top Bottom