Looking for a contractor

ucgz

Default rank <300 posts
Tracker
Reaction score
My wife and I will be purchasing our first home on June 1. We don't have a huge budget but the house (located in Woodstock) needs some renovation before we move in. I will be staying at the house between June 1 and June 10 while my wife stays with our toddlers at our current home in South Carolina. I will be working at my job during the day and doing remodeling in the evenings, nights, and all day Saturday. 10 years ago (when I was a teenager) my dad hired a contractor to oversee things while I did an extensive reno of his house (knocking out walls, raising ceilings, installing showers, putting in new electrical sockets, etc.) but I don't remember exactly how to do it.

My wife doesn't think we can afford the desired changes but I told her we can if I find a contractor to help me and work alongside me. I really want to do the following before we move in:
1. rip out the carpet throughout the house
2. frame in and finish a fourth bedroom in a finished basement
3. install laminate flooring through most of the house.

The house itself is 2200 square feet and I can rip out the carpet on my own. I do need help with items 2 and 3 and will be working right alongside the contractor. I would also love to surprise my wife and install a new shower in the master bath before she moves in. I can send pics if you want to make an extra buck on the side and help me out so that we can plan out the job ahead of time.

Are you or do you know a trusted contractor who isn't too expensive? I did some charity work in South America a number of years ago and speak spanish if you know someone who does great work but doesn't speak English. I have heard horror stories about hiring unknown contractors but I used to do a lot of trades on this site before I moved up to South Carolina and trust the folks in the ODT community. Any help would be much appreciated.

Wish I could help you out. But if you find someone who can start tomorrow don't hire them. If there not busy there is a reason.
1. You can do #1
2. Will be where the money is.
3. Call a flooring company and get a price on install.

Shoot me a PM my uncle may be able to help you out.

Sent from my Obama iPhone using Tapatalk

You need a carpenter to do #2. A contractor is going to hire a carpenter to do the work and charge you a fee.

You could try going to your local lumber yard and ask the guys working there if they know anyone. Don't call because they won't give you an answer. Go to the pro desk and ask prices on materials and ask if they knew someone who could help with the work.(don't ask if they recommend anyone)

Laminate flooring is easy. YouTube is your friend.

Back
Top Bottom