• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Looking for a lower caliber rifle for longer range shooting 200 yards minimum

I have been shooting Prairie Dogs out to 450-500 yards with .223 55 grain for 14 years. Nothing cheaper will do that AFFORDABLY. 17 HMR is great but costs .35 cents a round if you can find any and that isn't easy. I love a .204 Ruger but if you find any, it is $2.00 a round and brass is super hard to find. Similarly with .22 hornet, .22-250 (maybe the king of long range accuracy since the .222 Rem Magnum is about history). BUT.........

IF YOU RELOAD, take a serious look at the .20 Practical. Uses .223 Brass, easily necked down to .20, uses less powder than .204 only about 100 FPS slower and shoots like a laser. Low recoil, lower noise than .223 and a real joy in bolt actions. Sold my .204 cz, wish I hadn't. Rebarreling another bolt action in .20 Practical now.
love 20 practical. I use a .223 bushing die to do the necks. 1" drop or less at 200 yards depending on load/bullet combo.

Plenty of folks have given me great round selection, but a key part in my post was choosing a rifle.
I definitely want to get into reloading. I picked up a great grain scale just need the rest of the assembly. to punch, press and crimp.

How can I try out 2-3 of these calibers on the same rifle? Are there any modular options where I can easily swap barrels/bolt receivers?

So far im leaning towards .223 and 17hmr

Plenty of folks have given me great round selection, but a key part in my post was choosing a rifle.
I definitely want to get into reloading. I picked up a great grain scale just need the rest of the assembly. to punch, press and crimp.

How can I try out 2-3 of these calibers on the same rifle? Are there any modular options where I can easily swap barrels/bolt receivers?

So far im leaning towards .223 and 17hmr
Someone mentioned a Thompson center. They do switch barrel for the cheapest. Only problem is they are single shot.

If you want a repeater you're gonna drop a lot of green. Accuracy International, Desert Tech, Barrett, Savage or custom action built to be a switch barrell.

Timber71 Timber71 what’s your price range? Remember you’re going to need a nice scope too. Doesn’t make sense to get a nice rifle and put crap on it.

Easiest switch barrel is TC, as mentioned. You can go crazy though and do an ARC Nucleus, AI, Terminus, or Zermatt style receivers with different bolt heads and quick change barrels.

As far as shooting different cartridges put a call out on the forum to see if you can do a meet up and try out different firearms.

I seen this,

Back
Top Bottom