• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Looking for grill advice... and a grill

Status
Not open for further replies.
It really all depends on what you're wanting to do with it the most. I have an egg and love it. It's not a great grill though but definitely works as one. If ease or worry free is what you're wanting in a smoker, get an electric, set it and forget it. Traditional (wood) smokers can be finicky with temps. If the wind is blowing keeping a steady temp can be difficult. I enjoy playing with it while I cook though. Makes it a little more fun.
That's the reason I went with RecTec set it and never look back. The best at constant temps I have ever seen, even on windy days it won't vary over a degree either way. I'm only speaking from experience though. I must say I've never used a Treager but have heard some things, a lot of places sell them too. As has been said customer service with RecTec is awesome if you even need it. I've called and ask questions but have never had any issues with mine. To each their own though.

I just bought a Large Primo. They are oval instead of round like the BGE. I wanted the oval because you can fit a full brisket on the space without upgrading to XL. They are Same price point as BGE.

Currently building a table to hold the grill so I haven’t cooked on mine yet! I was impressed with a buddy’s, so I finally dropped the coin.

That's the reason I went with RecTec set it and never look back. The best at constant temps I have ever seen, even on windy days it won't vary over a degree either way. I'm only speaking from experience though. I must say I've never used a Treager but have heard some things, a lot of places sell them too. As has been said customer service with RecTec is awesome if you even need it. I've called and ask questions but have never had any issues with mine. To each their own though.

That’s one thing about a Egg...if you don’t have an electronic temp controller, and I don’t, you gonna go thru a lot of beer when you smoke a butt or a brisket cause you have to stay on top of it...
Come to think of it...the beer thing ain’t such a bad thing

Weber is hard to beat for a gas grill. Pricy but well built and do not flare up like most gas grills do.

Rec-Tec is the way to go for pellet cookers.

Can’t beat electric cookers for low, slowed smoking.

If you enjoy making your cooking an event....the eggs are fun.

I’ve got a Weber and an electric smoker.

They all have their ups and downs. I like to cook a lot when the family is coming over so I got a real smoker for slow smoking. I have a gas grill for grilling and an electric smoker for the small weekend smoking jobs. I really don't think there is actually a 1 size fits all grill / smoker that does not have its flaws.

Choose the one that fits your cooking style best.

My best friend just got a Traeger and it has temp control and connects to your smart phone so you can walk away. It's a pellet style and he loves it. My next door neighbor has a BGE and likes it but the ceramic has already cracked and the accessories aren't inexpensive. A lot of my coworkers have BGE or Commodo Joes and they love them but have also replaced several peices as well. They also argue on which is better. Like several already said, they all have their ups and downs. Just depends on what type of grilling/smoking you're planning on doing. I just bought a gas one side, charcoal the other side with a smoke box and I enjoy doing that with the wood chips and it's less than half the cost of the other aforementioned grill/smokers. FYI I don't even have a propane tank so don't make an example of me for not using charcoal please lol!!!

I may need to go into a bit more detail about me so you know who you're dealing with.
I'm a guy who can't cook. Seriously, I'm learning but I'm terrible. I burn the burgers.

My buddy said I need a decent grill in order to get my game up. This will probably be used once or twice a week. I have a small family and certainly wont be cooking for guests until I can deliver a product I'm proud of! HA!

I think I'd prefer the gas grill to get some practice under my belt before I go for trying to smoke a giant pig. But then again, i know nothing at this point

Weber is hard to beat for a gas grill. Pricy but well built and do not flare up like most gas grills do.

Rec-Tec is the way to go for pellet cookers.

Can’t beat electric cookers for low, slowed smoking.

If you enjoy making your cooking an event....the eggs are fun.

I’ve got a Weber and an electric smoker.
I agree with Weber being the best built grill out there now, I have one I've had for 10 years and still great shape. Q1000 I believe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom