• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Looking for laying hens...

justshootum

Default rank <200 posts
Hunter
Reaction score
Anyone have 1-4 laying hens they are willing to part with? My wife wanted a chicken coop for Christmas so I built her one. Now we need something to go in it. I suggested guns, but she prefers to have chickens for eggs. It appears winter is not the correct time to find chicks...

Winter is bad time to find birds local. You can have them shipped to you but it will cost...
https://m.www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/juvenilechickens.html
I would recommend getting some small ones, keep them in the basement or garage
until mid February, then put them out with a lamp. By April you will have eggs. This is
what we did.

May also try local facebook postings.

Thank you drsmile for the info. It seems like chickens are hard to come by this time of the year. Couple people said wait until Tractor Supply has them. I hate for all my hard work sit unused...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I will also tell you chickens don't lay as much in the winter. I usually get 3-4eggs a day from my 4 girls during spring/summer. Right now I'm getting 1 per day. Btw. I got my chickens here on ODT.

I will also tell you chickens don't lay as much in the winter. I usually get 3-4eggs a day from my 4 girls during spring/summer. Right now I'm getting 1 per day. Btw. I got my chickens here on ODT.
Thanks. Any idea where I can pick some up? My wife wants them young enough they can get use to her and hopefully make it easier for them to become free range broken.

I have a friend out here in Crawford Co. that has layers that are 7-8 months old and are just starting to lay. I'm going to pick a couple from her to add to my bunch. She also has a couple of roosters if you should want.

I have a friend out here in Crawford Co. that has layers that are 7-8 months old and are just starting to lay. I'm going to pick a couple from her to add to my bunch. She also has a couple of roosters if you should want.
Can you PM me contact info? Thanks

Just wait and pick some up this spring. Lots of hardware stores/feed stores sell them then. If you raise them from chicks yourself, you can have them as tame or wild as you'd want. Our girls will hop in your lap if you sit down outside. You're not going to get many eggs this time of year anyway.

Back
Top Bottom