• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Looking for someone to rifle a barrel for me

MajorFireball

Default rank <50 posts
Outdoorsman
2   0
Reaction score
I have a shotgun barrel that I want to get rifled. It is not cut or modified in any way, it is original from the manufacturer.

Does anyone know a smith who can rifle this .410 barrel for me?

Thanks!

What do you want to shoot in it?
If you want it to shoot .45 Colt handgun ammo, that's a BIG project, I think.
You'd need to modify the chamber and extractor system, not just rifle the bore.
The .45 Colt has a higher allowable chamber pressure, too, but only about 10% higher than .410 shotgun shells.

I never intend to shoot anything but .410 through it. I only have the barrel but if I could get it rifled and get the rest of the lower unit, it would be a very cool (and most importantly) legal gun.

"lower unit" -- you mean receiver?
If you're thinking of making a "pistol" with that barrel, the receiver you'll need is one that's never been designed for, used for, or even INTENDED to use for, a shotgun that has a shoulder stock. With that kind of non-shotgun receiver, you could conceivably build a pistol. By federal law and its definitions, a pistol has to have a rifled barrel and must be intended to shoot single-projectile ammo. So since many companies make .410 slug loads, that's easy to satisfy, even if the gun can "also be used with" multi-projectile shotshells.

Thanks for the reply, the receiver is in fact designed and built as a pistol grip. I know someone who has a receiver and I have the barrel. I hope you can read between the NFA 34 lines...

A further question:

Do you want the rifling ONLY to make the finished firearm legal, or do you actually need the rifling to properly stabilize the slug? In other words, does this have to be a quality job, with rifle-like accuracy, or would pretty much any scratches or twisty ridges spiraling down your barrel be good enough to keep ATF happy, and you'd be happy if your groups were the size of a garbage can lid at 25 yards?

Hmmm... here's a story about ATF dealing with a guy who has a .410 caliber pistol that used normal .410 shotgun shells but DID NOT have a rifled bore.
ATF said it was illegal and made him disassemble the weapon and keep it in that non-firing condition (ignoring the "constructive possession" doctrine) until such time as he could get the bore rifled to make it fit the definition of a "pistol."

http://blog.al.com/breaking/2009/10/post_41.html

That is correct. I want to use this gun as it was designed to use, an easy to carry snake gun etc. All I really want is to be able to accept this gun and it be legal. I do not have (nor would I) the gun but if I can find a way to make it legal again (it was manufactured before NFA 34 took full effect) it would be a very cool gun to have and carry around for snake, varmint type use.

Back
Top Bottom