• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

lyman 450 cleaning

SpeedyR

Default rank <3000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
125   0
Reaction score
time to start working on some reloading again. A while ago I picked up an older Lyman 450 sizer/luber. It has some pretty old black lube in it, and I'm working on trying to clean the whole thing up.

Any suggestions on what's the best way to clean it out? is there a solvent I can use on the old lube (carb cleaner, brake cleaner, acetone, paint thinner, etc)? heat gun? combination of the two? :)

anyone have some simple steps to clean things up on it? I've got some older sizers and top punches as well, need to clean them up.

I need to order a new sizer, for some reason I have a .430 and need a .429. If anyone has any sizers they would like to sell, let me know.

also I don't have the heating element for the sizer, I may get one of them. I have a few sticks of White Label Carnauba Red and BAC. Or just put in the new sticks and wait for the new lube to push out the old lube? My understanding is the BAC is ok without the heater, the CR usually needs the heater.

If you stand the die (sizer/luber) up on a cookie sheet and put it in the oven at around 200 degrees...just to warm it up, that lube should come right out or make it really easy to clean out!

cool. I did some reading on castboolits and saw a few ideas I will try tonight but this one seemed to be easy and I have a heat gun that works well will try that (probably not the propane torch idea I saw there). :)

BTw if anyone has any spare/extra sizers let me know.

Back
Top Bottom