M4carbine.net - M4 Comparison Chart

keeganxt

Default rank <300 posts
Tracker
3   0
Reaction score
This chart has probably been brought up here a few times, I know for sure by me a several times. M4carbine.net member "rob_s" was awesome enough to create a comparison chart of major AR15/M4 style rifle manufacturers. This is the second evolution of "The Chart" from Rob and is very well researched, as the info contained was received directly from the manufacturer.

I've gained a lot of knowledge from having a clear and concise resource like this for the AR15, including great explanations of things like MPI/HPT bolts and how important having a properly staked gas key is...etc. Hopefully it will help others as well. I'm reposting this here to help inform people of what exactly goes into making a rifle to TDP spec (technical data package) for the M4 style rifle and which manufacturers follow the TDP if you're getting ready to make a new purchase.

A disclaimer from rob_s for when you read this...
"Why isn't my pet brand on the Chart? How can I gloat to all my friends if my gun isn't listed?" If you are asking about a gun you already bought, that ship has sailed. If you are asking about a gun that you are interested in buying, read the Explanation of Features, educate yourself, and ask the manufacturer intelligent questions. Space constraints dictate that there is no room to include every single maker under the sun, and time constraints limit my ability to simply add every Tom, Dick, and Harry that gets a wild hair and decides to start making an AR."

Link: http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=82739

Last edited:
Nice to see it's back. "The chart" had been taken down for a pretty good while there. It must have taken quite a bit of work to put it all together. I see a few new ones added and some of the manufacturers listed on the old chart have chosen not to participate even though their weapons stacked up quite well.

I guess you also saw the easy way to buy a quality AR as listed in Robs signature line:
Buy a Colt 6920, or if you want lightweight get the Colt 6720. You will learn more with one of these guns, requisite ammo and magazines, and a good class than YEARS of reading on the Internet and theorizing and hypothesizing.

Yes I had subscribed to the his progress thread awaiting this new version that was manufacturer based this time around, it finally went up in june I think.

Yes I agree, 6920 is nice rifle. The key fact that m4carbine.net tries to push is that instead of just buying that $700-800 rifle that your local store stocks, spend and extra $200-300 and buy one of the best. It's such a slight difference in cost, and if you have the money to be buying one of these rifles anyways, you'll make more, so just save a bit and do it right.

I actually sold 2 older Colts & bought 4 S&W's instead.

Finally now Colt has gotten their prices competitive.

GT Distributors in Rossville has them for about $1000 as opposed to $1400-1600 years ago..

It is interesting that S&W didn't respond to his inquiries. They were probably pissed off about the amount of bad info in his old chart and thought it would be best to avoid it this time.

At the time the old chart was done S&W was still farming out bits and pieces to some very reputable manufacturers. I've been told it's all done in house now. I don't recall any bad info on the old chart pertaining to them. I seem to recall they were rated very highly when compared to many others on the list.
Basically the old chart was a comparison of mil spec parts and processes. Of course the Colts were the benchmark because their stuff was built for Govt. contract compliance. It didn't matter if the materials or processes exceeded the spec or were substandard they were all lumped together by those who didn't know what they were looking at because the target was plainly mil spec, it either is or isn't.

Last edited:
Just off the top of my head, parkerizing under the FSB, M4 feed ramps, and staked gas keys were misinterpreted in the old chart. I might be mistaken, but I remember looking at it and looking at my M&P-15 and noticing some discrepancies. May have been an older version of it too, who knows. I like that he went to the manufacturer for this one though.

I notice Sabre defense not on the chart , along with the 150 other companies that make AR's a real m-4 is still 14.5 inch barrel . not sure what the point is with the limited information of the chart . seems like a good start that would require a lot of work to be useful.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom