• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Man commits fraud

Gimmeguns

Default rank <4500 posts
ODT Junkie!
101   0
Reaction score
A Virginia man is facing multiple felony charges for falsifying documents to get in-state tuition rates for his daughter while she attended the University of Georgia.
UGA police on Wednesday obtained warrants charging 46-year-old Pierre P. Mortemousque with four counts of theft by deception and one count of false statements and writings.
Each theft charge is for the four semesters Mortemousque’s daughter attended UGA under reduced tuition rates, UGA Police Chief Jimmy Williamson said Friday.
Police have been speaking with Mortemousque’s attorney to have the suspect surrender to local authorities, Williamson said.
The warrants culminated an investigation that began more than six weeks ago when police received an anonymous tip that the Lynchburg man lied about being a Georgia resident when applying for his daughter’s tuition at UGA, Williamson said.
During the investigation, Mortemousque made full restitution of the $37,020 in savings he accrued by paying in-state tuition for his daughter, the police chief said.
The daughter also left UGA because of the probe to continue her education at another college, he said.
In tuition application documents, Mortemousque gave an address in Atlanta, where he owns an efficiency apartment, according to Williamson.
In the 400 or so days he rented the apartment, the man stayed there for only about 90 days, he said.
Mortemousque’s primary residence is in Lynchburg, the address he gave when applying for in-state Virginia tuition so that another of his children could attend college in that state, according to Williamson.
“It’s unfortunate that the way finances are for some people. They try to get creative to the point of breaking law to make ends meet,” Williamson said.
The police chief said it was the first case he knows of in which an out-of-state resident claimed to live in Georgia to pay in-state tuition rates. He believes others are doing it, or have done it, but have not been caught.
“I hope people think twice before they jeopardize themselves by getting arrested and putting their children in a bad situation,” Williamson said.

While I disagree with the deception, wasn't this the same University that held a rally for education for undocumented aliens? Are they not also non state residents in theory?

A group of undocumented immigrants and University of Georgia students protested outside the Administration Building and the Arch Monday for the right to attend UGA.

“We are here representing the thousands of undocumented students across the state of Georgia who cannot attend UGA simply because they don’t have a social security number,” said Eduardo Samaniego, an organizer of the event. “These are students that grew up in Georgia. They pledged allegiance to the United States, yet they are denied a human right - the right of education.”

The issue began after the University System of Georgia Board of Regents included policy 4.1.6 in their General Policy, which states “a person who is not lawfully present in the United States shall not be eligible for admission to any University System institution which, for the two most recent academic years, did not admit all academically qualified applicants (except for cases in which applicants were rejected for non-academic reasons).”
“I was president of Junior Achievement of Georgia, the Hispanic Honor Society, Latin Youth and the student body president of one of the largest high schools in Cobb County - North Cobb High School - and yet it wasn’t enough for UGA,” Samaniego said.
After this policy was put in place, Freedom University was established to provide a space for undocumented prospective students to go.
“Founded in 2011, Freedom University is a volunteer-driven organization that provides rigorous, college-level instruction to all academically qualified students regardless of their immigration status,” according to the mission on their website.

Inside the Administration Building, Samaniego and Lucino Gopar, another Freedom University student, met with UGA President Jere W. Morehead to discuss lifting USG's ban.
“Our main goal is for him to come out and publicly say that he is against this ban and that he wants to be on the good side of history,” said Freedom University student Norma Dimas.
But instead, Morehead released a statement expressing his concern.

“The University community appreciates the variety of perspectives shared through dialogue on a college campus,” he wrote in the statement. “That is why I had a meeting with representatives of the Undocumented Student Alliance at UGA today. As a unit of the University System of Georgia, we follow Regents policies. As President, I listened to the concerns expressed today and will convey those concerns to the Regents.”
Public institutions such as UGA have different admissions policies from private schools.
“Private schools have their own rules and regulations and don’t have the same kind of restraint that UGA does, who has to follow under the Board of Regents,” Dimas said. “We have a lawsuit pending against the Board of Regents for the unlawful inequality and segregation of the schools in Georgia. UGA is our first stop. If we have to, we will continue to other schools."
Dimas said she recognizes that this is not going to be a quick process.

“Even if we got President Morehead to come out and say that he publicly supports us, we still have the Board of Regents to fight,” she said. “There is a lawsuit pending, but we need the support of the top five universities' presidents to get that ban removed.”
Dimas said that despite being an honors student in high school, she attended Gwinnett Technical College, where she earned a 4.0 GPA prior to attending Freedom University.
But she had to bear a financial burden because of her immigration status.
“They charged me five times the in-state tuition,” Dimas said. “I was charged as an international student even though I proved that my parents have been paying Georgia and federal taxes.”

UGA alumna Laura Emiko Soltis began teaching as a professor at Freedom University this past fall to give students equal access to education.
“I am dedicated to providing an education for undocumented youth who have been banned from the top five universities in Georgia,” she said.

One of five professors on the education team, Soltis said she teaches approximately 45 students who are eager to continue their education.
“In addition to providing an education, we also provide them with a safe space. Many of our students who come to our classroom have never been out of the shadows or have never been in the company of other undocumented students," Soltis said. "It’s really important for them to have a safe space where students can control their own destiny and organize events like this.”
Anise Crane, a Japanese-American and member of the Undocumented Student Alliance at UGA, said she supported the protest because she could have easily been in a similar situation.
“A lot of people I went to school with, I didn’t realize until later, were undocumented,” she said. “It’s the duty of Americans and immigrants to defend the right to education and the human right to education on a moral view and I don’t feel like I’m more privileged to go to this university just because I’m lucky to have legal status here. I think it’s important for us to support our fellow students we went to high school with.”
Savannah Downing, a senior from Donalsonville majoring in women’s studies and English, said she also participated in the rally to show support for the cause.
“I’m here to stand in solidarity with the many people who don’t get a chance to have an education at this university,” she said. “It’s embarrassing to graduate from an institution that doesn’t even recognize the applicants that, to be quite honest, have had higher SAT scores and GPAs than I had.”

The group chanted phrases throughout the assembly, but a frequently repeated one translated from Spanish to English was “A people united will never be defeated.”

How much did the UGA cops spend investigating this so called fraud?

And how do you prove to a jury that someone spent X nights at a house?

If you copied an article, you should place it within the quote tags and provide credit and a reference.

So reading the article again. He coughed up extra money and they are still charging him with felonies ?

He must have had a terrible Lawyer defending him
Or none at all

Back
Top Bottom